Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

rotational slop question in T56

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rotational slop question in T56

with the car in whatever gear and clutch engaged, if you turn your drive shaft by hand how much rotational movement would you expect in the transmission?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never done it that way but i have my trans out on the bench right now and if i grab the input shaft and twist back.and.forth there is virtually no slop.. maybe 1/8 inch movement clunk to clunk lol.. doing it your way also brings u joints into play..
Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is no slop in the u-joints. should have stated if you grab the slip yoke and turn that. I am more interested in slop on the main/output shaft, not the input.
I get a clunk when i shift normally under light load and i'm pretty sure it's in the transmission. but the transmission is otherwise fine, shifts fine and actually seems better and quieter if it's under a heavy load. like getting on the highway at greater than 50% throttle running up to 4000 rpm no shift clunk and things are fine. but driving down a flat road under little to no load and even coasting when i push the clutch in i'll get a snap-clunk sound.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are doing this wth the trans installed and at the rear yoke, you are picking up the clutch spring displacement & clutch spline fit as well as the trans lash.If you can measure degrees( the correct way to evaluate this) you should expect 10 degrees max 1-4 and 12 degrees max ODs . This is the tans only. Most health trans will be less than this.With your method, you may see more depending on the clutch you have. Just because you hear the clunk in the trans area when you drive does not mean that's where the displacement is. You should really look at your diff set up...this is where most clunk issues live.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know exactly where it's coming from exactly, other than the drive train. When in the driver's seat my ear is above the tail end of the transmission, and the sound seems like it's coming from between the middle to the rear of the car. but not far to the rear where i'd definitely say it's the rear axle or differential. plus, the rear axle is new and that would take the cake if that was causing it. the drive shaft is a denny's aluminum and is new and i seriously doubt it's that. my concern is i have t56 issues and maybe what was described in the thread- fix damn vibration t56 where the guy shows the loose 5th 6th gear assembly on the shaft which should be press fit.

Quick Reply: rotational slop question in T56