Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPAQ scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IPAQ scan tool?

hey guys i recently bought a HP IPAQ 2215, it runs on Windows Pocket PC 2003, i remember my friend saying he could use his Palm Pilot as a scan tool for his car, where can i find such a cable for my PDA?
thanks
Old 04-30-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unfortuanetly i don't think there's anything out yet that works with Pocket PCs it's not just the cable... the core OS is totally different ... and since palm is still more popular than Pocket PCs it may be a while off yet
Old 04-30-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i found this link
http://www.obd2.com/win_ce/data/win_ce_demo.htm

i just d/led the free software on my PDA, its pretty neat but i really wish i had the cable, it seems they don't have a GM specific cable, but a 'generic' one
and i think the bundle for the cable/software is about $500, would any cable work with this software?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that's pretty cool!

Not sure what kinda cable would work with it though It'd have to be one w/the pin outs required for GMs data bus (J1850 VPW ) (GM uses different pins for data than say Ford as example) and it'd have to be able to convert the VPW signal to serial ... so not just any cable would work
Old 04-30-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if the 'generic' cable would work with GM applications, but the software is free to d/l from that link i posted, so its kinda fun to play around and see what its capable of, maybe i could something cheaper on ebay

anyone know if these cable's/software's are married to a particular VIN# (like some of the Predator scan tools) or can anyone use them?