Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can someone smart explain why...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can someone smart explain why...

So long story short I found out that my pilot bearing is trash. I'm trying to figure out why it made noise only when I pushed the pedal in and was in gear. And also why it was hard to get in gear.

Basically can someone explain to me why the broken pilot bearing was giving me problems. BECAUSE I'M CURIOUS! THANKS!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I had the exact same issue

when you're in neutral the input shaft is free to spin independently of the rest of the transmission, so the friction of the failed bearing against the tip of the input shaft just causes the input shaft to spin at a speed close to the engine/crank and you don't hear anything. when you push the clutch in and put it in gear, the input shaft is stopped due to the rear wheels not moving, so the sound you hear is the input shaft scraping against what is left of the bearing which is spinning at the speed of the engine. the pilot bearing supports and allows the input shaft to spin freely relative to the crank, but when the bearing fails there is unusual loading on the input shaft that it is not designed for which I'm sure causes some extra friction inside the trans.

I replaced mine with a bronze bushing instead of a bearing
Old 08-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense! Thanks. I didn't think about the shaft stopping.

Quick Reply: Can someone smart explain why...