Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

lotta problems. fixing them today! plz help! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lotta problems. fixing them today! plz help! :)

OK. I have a short in my electrical. Brand new battery and if I let my car sit overnight (7+) hours the battery will be dead. I hooked a test light up to the negative side and the negative terminal, test light lit up pretty bright. So I started pulling fuses one by one. Putting them in before I took the next one out. No change in the light! Where's my drain?
Also the back hatch rattles. One of the strut mounts are broke/loose on the hatch side. How do fix this issue? Hope I get this all straightened out!
Also my torque arm mount is broke/ banging around. How do I fix this? Dealer part?

Last edited by 98WhiteLsX; 08-11-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98WhiteLsX
OK. I have a short in my electrical. Brand new battery and if I let my car sit overnight (7+) hours the battery will be dead. I hooked a test light up to the negative side and the negative terminal, test light lit up pretty bright. So I started pulling fuses one by one. Putting them in before I took the next one out. No change in the light! Where's my drain?
Also the back hatch rattles. One of the strut mounts are broke/loose on the hatch side. How do fix this issue? Hope I get this all straightened out!
Also my torque arm mount is broke/ banging around. How do I fix this? Dealer part?
Welcome to the Forum!

I've had this happen before too. I wouldn't call it a short. That implies something is mis-wired and since you didn't find any fuses that were blown you're probably in good shape. I would suggest the most likely culprit is that something isn't turning off all the way when you turn the key off. Have you modified the stereo, added an amp for a subwoofer, a radar detector? Any of these will drain your battery overnight.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check all the lights. Exterior and interior ( don't forget the license plate light! )

Also, I know if the hatch isn't 110% closed, the dome lights will stay on which is easy to miss if your car is programmed to use the delayed exit lighting feature. ( Interior lights stay on for 20 seconds after the car is off and everything is shut. )
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'm unhooking the radio lets see if that helps any! It's getting very annoying lol.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

I unhooked the radio. Still did it. This is annoying!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

The interior lights on the car should shut off in there own after like 10 min or so of the door being open. I havent seen one that didnt. As for the battery dying do you have aftermarket headlights? Some people have halo headlights and wire the additional wiring improperly. Check to see if the glove box light is staying on at all like maybe the nipple to the piece that is pushed when closed is broken and leavin the light in glove box on. Only other thing i could maybe point out is some people put retractable antennas like the trans ams had and maybe your short is there the motor is fried but its still sending a constant juice. Because those stule antennas still operate after the key is off. Lemme know what you find
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Teching In

ouch....goodluck

Quick Reply: lotta problems. fixing them today! plz help! :)