Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

98 camaro th400 and 9" swap now doesn't drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 camaro th400 and 9" swap now doesn't drive

I did a th400 swap on my 98 camaro which was originally a A4. I got everything bolted up and put 10 quarts in it. I started the car and started putting it through the gears and it stalls out in reverse and jumps when it's in 1st than stalls. Another change is that I no longer have abs and the abs inop light is on. Any ideas what it could be? Also it idles rough but when I pump the brakes the idle smooths out.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Hate to say it man but it could be a few things that i know of, worst case the torque converter could be manufactured improperly and is not showing its stall ( all torque converters have stalls) if the converter not showing stall you will need to pull it and swap it but it also could be the pump gears in the transmission. If the torque converter is not seated properly upon install it will break the transmission pump gears and not provide fluid which could cause it not to move but im unsure if it will stall based on that. If the converter is total crap usually it will leave vrass shavings in the pan. Best case and what im thinking it mught be...The issue with idle could be vaccuum related...th400 unless you have a full manual valvebody needs a minimum of 15 pounds of vaccuum in order to operate and shift properly at all times. If you hit the brakes being they use vaccuum to the booster it could be the th400 is taking too much vaccuum from the engine causing it to die. What i recommend is start from the cheapest work your way up and if i were you i would buy a vaccuum canister from summit and mount it under the hood so the transmission is getting a constant amount of vaccuum from it and not the engine. This canister is simple to install and will improve your trans life and might solve your issue of the engine dieing. If that does not fix it than it could be what i previously stated in the begining. Sorry i posted it all backwards the more i typed the more obvious stuff came to me that could be the problem but shoot for the vaccuum issue. Where you tie the vaccuum into anyway for the trans?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

As for the ABS light i dont know sounds like could be taking too much vaccuum from the engine and your brake booster isnt getting enough vaccuum causing the abs light to come on.... Not too sure on that one but its a shot in the dark that would make sense to me.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
As for the ABS light i dont know sounds like could be taking too much vaccuum from the engine and your brake booster isnt getting enough vaccuum causing the abs light to come on.... Not too sure on that one but its a shot in the dark that would make sense to me.
abs has no sensor inputs to the brake booster on our cars, so that's a no go. The question here is was the abs unit completely removed or did he just get rid of the rear sensor.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Just removed the sensor. I actually plan on switching to manual brakes
Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, that would be by your abs light is on. Get that strange manual brake master cyl (its a billingsly design), and run your own lines up front and back. Cleans everything up very nicely all around. As far as your not moving problem, still having it?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Yea, I'm pretty sure the pump wasn't installed correctly. Well atleast that's what a very reputable performance trans place suspects. Once I get the cash it's going to be gone through.

Quick Reply: 98 camaro th400 and 9" swap now doesn't drive