Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-3 or -4 SS Braided Hose ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default -3 or -4 SS Braided Hose ?

I am putting an adjustable Proportioning Valve in my Nova Project. The Adjustable valve is post the OEM Combo/Proportioning Valve and inline with the rear brake line. Should be 1/4" OD Tubing ?

I am going to use a Braided SS hose. The question is what size ? -3 or -4 hose. The OEM tube coming from the Combo Valve looks to be 1/4"OD tubing for the Rear tube as compared to the front line which are 3/16" OD tubing.

The local speed shop suggested -3 hose. I was thinking it should be a -4 Hose due to the 1/4" OD Tube ?..What have you used or suggested ?

Thanks...

BC
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the hard steel line is .250" od , this equates to -4 hose. The AN sizes equal the number of 16th's of an inch of the OD of hard line. An example would be -8 = 8/16", the ID of the AN hose is equal to the ID of the hard line.
My recommendation would be to use hard line any where possible to maintain good pedal feel. Any flexible hose has a degree of expansion and contraction ultimately leading to a spongy feel. All of the brake system manufacturers will tell you this.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

old goat. .thanks I am aware of the AN - conversion.. but had to question on the usage.

I just got off the phone with a Tech at Russell.. He also confirmed to use -3 like the guy at my local shop suggested. Though it might be .250 O.D. = -4 fitting / hose.. the real question is the I.D. of the .250 O.D. equal to -3 ?. Which I have to take it as Yes now.

thanks.

BC

Quick Reply: -3 or -4 SS Braided Hose ?