Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Choosing the right cam. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the right cam. NEED HELP

I have a 2004 auto gto and current mods are cai, lt headers, and a tune. I've been wanting to get an after market cam an was wondering what a good cam would be for my set up, with out having to upgrade much else. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Evil GT0; 08-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Best bet would be to talk to someone like Pat G or Ed Curtis to custom spec a cam. You are probably looking for something like a 224r. Any bigger and you are really going to want a stall. Replace the valve springs and pushrods as well.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by O-FiveCC
Best bet would be to talk to someone like Pat G or Ed Curtis to custom spec a cam. You are probably looking for something like a 224r. Any bigger and you are really going to want a stall. Replace the valve springs and pushrods as well.
This right here ^.... Any bigger cam size and you'll need a stall.. And oil pump and rockers, springs and pushrods and then you ask yourself if you do end up putting a baby cam in, is it even worth the Time and labor to pay someone to do the install and gain very minimal hp and tq... Not in my eyes.. I went through the same scenario and ended up cramming a big bitch cam in to justify everything. I'm 449rwhp ls2 Gto and I'm cam and bolt ones only
Old 08-21-2013, 08:30 AM

Thank you
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Check with our sponsors on the right, they will help you find the right cam for YOUR car. One size does not fit all with camshaft selection. In fact, there is a whole science on picking the right cam for YOUR Goat and they can get you through it. Please do not be penny wise and pound foolish when selecting a cam. You will need new springs and related hardware when you install any cam. Probably new pushrods too. People who cut corners when upgrading a cam end up with engine problems which are way more expensive to fix. Talk to the experts over there>>>> to find the right cam and do not go cheap with the necessary related valvetrain upgrades. Keep in mind that with an auto you will likely need a higher stall and a tranny cooler.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

I am in the same boat with my 04. Without a stall you dont have many options. You could for with a ls6 cam and just change the springs.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

A cheap way to stall it and be open for other upgrades like cam etc!
http://www.circledspecialties.com/c-...rformance.aspx

Quick Reply: Choosing the right cam. NEED HELP