Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default intercooler

I presently have the dual procharger intercoolers and have read different post that say changing to a single intercooler will increase my hp substantially.
Questions
1. Is there anyone that has done this and saw measurable difference?
2. How difficult/expensive is it to do?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Considering a decent quality Treadstone intercooler is $300-400 and then redoing the piping...... I'd say it is pretty affordable.

If you can't do any of the fabwork yourself... be prepared to cough up 2-3x the cost of the intercooler in labor.

You should probably describe your setup.... how much power you are making, what fuel you are running..... are you running meth injection to assist in cooling yet?

What is the max HP of the supercharger you are running.... how far away are you from that?

Zillion variables...
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My mods are in the sig right below the post.
I am in the process of building a forged shortblock. I am at 700+rwhp on my stock bottom end and don't feel confortable beating on it. When I spend the $$ on a forged bottom, I will obviously want to bump the power up to make it worth it. I am running a SD tune that's meth dependent (tuned by me) and IAT are 70* at the end of a run
I will bump the boost a little and install a little larger FI cam when I install. I will EVENTUALLY go to a D1 from my P1
I am running the twin intercoolers from procharger and had read a few post that said you could pick up 60+rwhp by going to a single
I do all my own work and have installed every mod on my car
The "expense" question came from seeing intercoolers for $900 on one of the vendors website. That's a little more than I want to go
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I can't answer question 1 but for question 2 cost and difficulty will depend on exactly how you set it up. If you want an intercooler with a single side inlet and a top outlet you're probably going to pay a little more money. Piping will vary depending on whether or not you want to use couplers or have them welded together (unless you can weld aluminum yourself). You'll probably want to look into cutting out the license plate holder in the bumper or making some duct work to get air to it as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can use couplers. I guess I could take it by the muffler shop and have them make some bends after I determine where I need to run the pipe between the blower and the intercooler. I can get a good air supply from underneath
I haven't been able to find out through searches (I have emailed Procharger) but I just don't think that the duals will supply enough air to support 800rwhp.

Quick Reply: intercooler