Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

The Stumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Stumper

I put a 6.0 in my 79 malibu about 3 years ago. It has an intercooled procharger blowing through a quick fuel carberator and an msd box. Once installed it ran fine, fast foward 3 years, it doesn't. I drained the fuel cell and replaced the gas and started it. It seamed to idle ok but would break up at 2 grand. I tried to tune the carb to no gains. I down loaded the msd curve to make sure it didnt fall out during its sleep. It was still there. I unhooked the procharger and I replaced the carb and it still is breaking up at 2 grand. Any direction of what to do next would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You have a wide band O2 setup? I you swapped carbs, I imagine that eliminates the build up that can happen when today's fuel sits in a carb and mucks everything up. How the plugs look?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume fuel pressure is good when it breaks up. Maybe a clogged filter.

Also check the plugs.

Try running with a lap top hooked up to the MSD box and see if it shows anything breaking up. Maybe a ground/power wire corroded so you are no longer getting full voltage to either the box and/or the coils.

Clean your battery posts while you are at it, even if they look clean.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try replacing the plugs. Ive had plugs lean foul before and look perfectly fine, yet be fouled. Eric L

Quick Reply: The Stumper