LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the difference between an ignition switch for an A/T and one for an M/T?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between an ignition switch for an A/T and one for an M/T?

My 1994 Firebird Formula automatic has been giving me hell about starting and stalling randomly. A friend of mine told me to buy a new ignition switch. We saw one for an automatic transmission and one for a manual transmission. The one for an automatic was $40 at AutoZone. The one for the manual was $15. He said it looks like the only difference between the two was a small black plastic piece. He suggested to buy the one for the manual and use the black piece of plastic off my old one and install it to this one to save $25 (At the time, I was so broke that every penny mattered). I was just wondering if he was right about the difference or if I really need to buy a new ignition switch for an automatic transmission. I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS! I've been having problems with this car ever since I've owned it and I'm sick of it.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, you need one for an auto if you want the brake/transmission shift interlock to work. The extra part (where the interlock cable plugs in) allows the shifter to be locked when the switch is off. AFAIK, you cannot transfer that part to the manual switch.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But could that possibly be the reason why my car is stalling and starting randomly?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, I thought your question was about the ignition switch.

Only if you are seeing power killed to ignition switched circuits would it be the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between an ignition switch for an A/T and one for an M/T?