LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Misfire issue on new build - LT1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire issue on new build - LT1

Hey All,

I could use some help on this one. I just did a fresh rebuild on my motor and transmission. I will list the mods and what was done below. I started it and have a error code advising of multiple misfires. Before I get into the rest I also want to advise that I have an exhaust leak where the headers meet the exhaust. This is due to the pipe that hooker sent me to connect the 2 being the incorrect size. We tightened it to where it is driveable but still the leak is loud as hell.

Well I took the car to a mechanic that my mother in law suggested to tune it because I thought maybe this could be an issue (hailmary). They advised it is the 7th cylinder, and when they opened the valve cover found the push rod was bent to all hell. They put new push rod in and drove it around (I only drove 8 miles to bend it) and checked and it was not bent again. However, we are still showing misfires. They tried to open up the pipe to fix the leak but made it worse, now it wont even idle without dieing. The did a compression check an it came back fine. Is this maybe a misread and the exhaust is the issue? What could I check? They are trying to tell me this could be bad gas, but the car only sat for 3-4 months.

What was done:

CC503 Cam
Comp cam roller lifters
Comp cam roller rockers 1.52 ratio
Hooker shorties
Reconditioned heads
Reconditioned fuel injectors
Bored 30 over rebuilt motor (professionally cleaned and rebuilt by shop)
New battery
New Alternator

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Definitely needs to be tuned. You also need to find out why you bent a pushrod. How did you adjust the valves? What year a car is this?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Definitely needs to be tuned. You also need to find out why you bent a pushrod. How did you adjust the valves? What year a car is this?
Thanks for the reply. This is a 1997 Camaro Z28, sorry I should have included that. For the valve adjustment we did zero lash with a half a turn. I spoke with the mechanic today and once he placed the new rod in the bending did not occur again. He found the spark plug wires are popping off and that caused the misfire. I returned the wires and got better ones.

I no longer have the misfire, but the car idles very low and dies out. I think at this point I just need the tune. Hooker finally sent me the correct pipe so I was able to correct the exhaust leak.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

you need the pcm tuned for the new cam. should be able to use a mail order tune.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
you need the pcm tuned for the new cam. should be able to use a mail order tune.
Thanks, this is who I am going to use.
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/service/order.php
I have heard good things, do you all have a suggestion or does this look good?

Quick Reply: Misfire issue on new build - LT1