Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Holley Flooding - Question on Needle Valve Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Holley Flooding - Question on Needle Valve Assembly

My Holley 4150 starting flooding from the secondaries yesterday when I went to start the car. I could hear fuel spilling into intake. Probably spilled 1/4 cup of fuel.

I pulled the needle valve assembly and they are not dirty. However, the rubber o-ring spins freely on the needle valve assembly. I am suspecting that this is my problem.

The front needle valve does the same but it was not leaking and the front needle valve assembly seems to have a slightly tighter fit.

My plan is to replace both needle valve assemblies and go from there.

Should I be worried about he 1/4 cup or so of fuel having washed down cylinder walls? My thought was to pull plugs and put small squirt of oil on each cylinder, crank over a couple of times to blow out any excess fuel.

Figured I would change the oil as well. Really sucks since its just recently changed and its that purple stuff that costs green stuff.

Thanks....Kevin
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is fuel pressure 6.5 psi?
is your float level good? ie fuel 1/2 to 2/3 up the sight glass
Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the float moves smoothly and that your filters are in good order. Some times a piece of dirt keeps them from seating. You may have knocked it loose when you pulled the bowls.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel. If you think it was a lot then go a head and pull the plugs and crank it over for a few seconds so you don't hydrolock the motor. I wouldn't worry about the oil either.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you think it was a lot then go a head and pull the plugs and crank it over for a few seconds so you don't hydrolock the motor
I would definitely pull the plugs before you attempt to start it. Crank it like he says and then re-install the plugs. I personally would change the oil once you get the problem solved.

Quick Reply: Holley Flooding - Question on Needle Valve Assembly