Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Inlet Elbow, another option

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Body Inlet Elbow, another option

I am getting closer to my swap and want to have everything on hand to make the process as smooth as possible. I searched high and low for a factory looking elbow that would transition from 3.5" at the MAF to ~4" at the throttle body. I refuse to pay $100 for the LT1 elbow and don't really like the webbing on the rubber and I prefer a more OEM look than a silicone elbow. Figured I would share this.

Hunting for options in the junkyard today I cam across this guy and after sizing it up, I took a chance. I think it cam off something with the transverse mounted 3.8l V6. The MAF looked just like my 2000 F-Body MAF, and it was nice and smooth with a bellowed section on the long end. In addition it was short and didn't extend much from the throttle body. Got it home and it was close to slipping on as is, but just couldn't motivate it on. Went into the kitchen, boiled some water and after a ~3 min bath, on it went. Let it cool to room temp and then pulled it off. It clearly stretched enough and I was able to slide it back on with the assistance of some silicone spray.

Going to need a new clamp at the throttle body as the original one is just too small. On the other end the MAF slides right in, clamp works great. The elbow is made of plastic (ends are rubber), so I am going to drill a hole and use a grommet for the IAT sensor. There is enough room on the inside of the bend to tuck it in nicely for a clean appearance. Overall it should work great and give a nice OEM appearance. Best part, I think it cost $4! Part # 25099974

Now for the pics.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.8 GM? As in 3800? Pontiac?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loweredd
3.8 GM? As in 3800? Pontiac?
3800 AKA 3.8l transverse V6 in Pontiacs, Buicks, ect. I will try and take note of the make if I head back to the junkyard.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

That's cool. I was planning on hitting the U-pull tomorrow. I will check too and make a list. My MAF includes the IAT so no need for a hole with LQ4.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by loweredd
My MAF includes the IAT so no need for a hole with LQ4.
My 5.3 has all f-body accessories, not sure what you are running but might interfere with the serpentine belt with truck accessories.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Teching In

That looks a lot like the one I used from a Caddy Northstar car at the boneyard. Mine wouldn't make it on the TB either but softening it with a heat gun did it - needed to be about 1/2" bigger.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Inlet Elbow, another option