Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

corvette transmission question, how bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corvette transmission question, how bad is this?

so i bought a used trans from a guy on CF.com, not going to name names as its more fed ex than anything (even though i expected it to be shipped like described link from tick transmission shipping FAQ link i sent the guy, in the plastic box and all) but it was just shipped in cardboard and tape.

anyway down to the nitty gritty, upon receipt of the trans i notice:
(pictures he sent me of trans before sending it show this intact)

these are the only pieces i found from shipping, inside of the box not trans ive turned the trans upside down and hand turned the gears and still nothing. Im thinking it broke and fell out of the box since the cylinder and spring were inside that cover for the shift linkage and would have blocked the other pieces from falling in. it looks like it was placed on this shift linkage "box" thus cracking the pieces off.

i just want to make sure i dont need to tear into the trans its self to ensure there are no more pieces inside to possibly cause havoc.

let me know, because im about to go ***** deep in this trans swap and i dont want to have to do it again. if its very unlikely then ill just throw it in and call it a day. or is it easy to pull apart to inspect for further "fod"

thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the reverse inhibitor mechanism.....the solenoid must have left the building.The cover may be reusable . They must have rolled( kicked) the box off the truck.They( Fed Ex) should be held accountable. Use those before pics. You can replace that entire assembly .I don't believe there is a major concern of bits falling inside. The smallest piece mussing is a fairly large snap ring that likely exited with the solenoid.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
That is the reverse inhibitor mechanism.....the solenoid must have left the building.The cover may be reusable . They must have rolled( kicked) the box off the truck.They( Fed Ex) should be held accountable. Use those before pics. You can replace that entire assembly .I don't believe there is a major concern of bits falling inside. The smallest piece mussing is a fairly large snap ring that likely exited with the solenoid.
ok cool, im just going to swap over my M12 reverse lockout since mine is working fine and im just swapping because of possible bad synchros. I downloaded a PDF of the parts break down and it looks like everything was outside of the cover, i cant reuse the cover the trans came with because the bolt still on is bent and looks like it cracked the cover where the threads are.

i was just making sure there wasnt a large chance of pieces inside, from the looks of the parts break down i dont think i need to be worried.

Quick Reply: corvette transmission question, how bad is this?