Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finished the Cam/UD Install and Boy was I Lucky!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I finished the Cam/UD Install and Boy was I Lucky!!!!

Well I worked on the car and got the air intake, coils, water pump and other stuff off on Weds night. My Friend and I got started in earnest Friday around 6:00 and worked until midnight. We got down to getting the old pully off and called it a night. Man getting the stearing rack out of the car was a major PIA and was major stress #1.

The old pully had seperated at the rubber section and moved back and damaged the front engine cover and the front edge of the oil pan. I looks like my oil leak was not the front cover but a leak between the front cover and oil pan. The balancer moved back and realy ground the edge of the oil pan in about a 1/4 of an inch leaving a thin spot that is not sealing. I didn't buy an oil pan nor did I have the equipment to do the replacement. So I RTV'd it as good as I could when we installed the new cover. I'll have to fix it permanently later.

Saturday we begin to install the cam, timing chain and new LS6 oil pump. The lifter retention tool worked great on the drivers side. It went right in. On the passenger side it would no go past Cylinder #4 and you could hear the lifter on the exhaust of #6 was still hitting the cam. It would not stay up in the cups. So I used a push rod in the rod hole to see if the other lifters were staying up. Fortunately #8 cylinder was staying up. I then used a magnet on the pesky one in #6 and with the help of my friend and Rob 2K1 we got the old cam out and the new one in record time before a lifter could even think of dropping. Whoo that was major stress #2.

Got the new chain on and the oil pump with everything lined up pretty easy. The new pulley from ASP went on easy as well. We even managed to torque it to the full 240ftlbs and then with the new bolt got the full 140 degrees of yield. So that Bisnitch is on there. By this time it was about 9:00 we called it a night and I bought my friend a steak dinner for his help. So we started putting things back today and got to the doing the valve spring swap. Now I figured this was no big deal just put an air fitting in the cylinder and away you go. Well on the first one we try on #2 cylinder I did not quite have it set up correctly with the air compressor I got the spring off and was going to pull the valve seal when I saw the valve start to drop. I caught it with the wrench I was using to pull the seals and held on to it until we figured out what was wrong. Major stess #3! So we kept going and finished the passenger side without any problems.

The driver's side turned into a nightmare. Even with the valve cover off, the air tube removed, everything off it was almost impossible to get the air compressor fitting into the spark plug hole for #5. It took forever and was really frustrating and tiring and that I think is what lead to mistake #2 on the valve springs. On several of the valves when you compressed them they would not release from the retainers and locks. On this one I compressed it a little too far before I tapped on it to get it to release. When it did since the valve was open the compressed air would not hold it up. It vanished into the cylinder but I got lucky again it stopped just past the valve seal. We got the trusty little magnet on it and I then rotated the engine and saw that piston was near TDC. We held it with the magnet and saw it travel back up into the head. My friend said I looked pretty panicked when I saw the valve drop. I don't think I took a breath the entire time. Major stess #4.

Getting the stearing rack back in the car was another major PIA and I am not sure we got the power stearing system flushed correctly. So we get everything back in order and I start the engine without the plugs to prime the new pump and get oil back in the heads without the motor under compression. Then put the plugs and new wires in and spun it again with the coils disconnected per JMX's website. Then double checked everything again. Hooked up the coils and it started right up. It would not hold an idle at first but it sounded real mean. So we finished about 5:00 Sunday afternoon.

I have now driven the car about 100 miles tonight to start getting all the new stuff broken in a bit before the dyno tune on Thursday. It died only once on the initial drive. Now with some miles on it even with the A/C on coming to a stop it stumbles a few times running between 400 and 900 rpm. It then settles in at 600 rpm. So driving it around will be fine even in traffic before the tune. Right now the car will break the rear tires loose in third gear if you romp on it at 2000 rpm. It makes freeway ramps realy fun now. I always loved 3rd in these cars but now it realy rocks. I can't wait to see what it does on the dyno but I am even more excitied about Hallsville and the Corvette Shootout this weekend. So overall I learned a lot like why tuners charge big bucks for this install. I am just glad to be finished with it!
_______

Gonbad
The Car: 98 C5 6spd, Silver coupe, Firethorn, F45, Museum Delivery, Loaded.

Mods: Futral F4 Cam 226/226 .575/.575 LSA 112, ASP UD Pulley, Comp 918 Springs, Comp Ti Retainers, Comp Push Rods, JWIS Timing Chain, LS6 Oil Pump, MSD Plug Wires, NGK TR55, Halltech Stinger-R Intake, Alpine 8080 alarm. Z51 swaybars, LS6 Clutch, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, DRM Bias Spring, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, OEM Y2K High Polish Wheels, Kuhmo's, Optima Redtop, Borla Stinger Quad Ovals!

Getting Tuned by Chris Robinson at RPM on May 6th and we will see the outcome!

Last edited by gonbad; 05-03-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you get your crank pulley bolt back on tight, mine backed off on me today and threw my belts and overheated my car. i guess running it down with a 1/2" impact isn't good enough...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
make sure you get your crank pulley bolt back on tight, mine backed off on me today and threw my belts and overheated my car. i guess running it down with a 1/2" impact isn't good enough...

Oh man it is on there. Like I said we got the full 240 ftlbs of torque on the old bolt to drive the new balancer on. Then when we installed the new bolt we got the full 140 degrees of yield on it. That bastard is on there. There is no way driving it on with an impact wrench is going to do the job. We tried to use one to get the bolt off. All we did was break the socket. We used a 24 inch long 1/2 drive breaker bar and then stuck my floor jack handle on to that. With two large people, one pulling and one pushing, we broke the old bolt loose and were able to install the new one fairly easily. It is just the getting to that point that sucks.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

God I am so tired today. I was useless at work. I need some

Anyway the car did fine today in rush hour traffic. No overheating, no smoking no problem with the motor at all. It does look like I may have screwed up the power stearing some how. We broke the Magnasteer connector off while trying to get the rack out. May not have rewired it correctly or we didn't flush the system correctly. Going to add some more fluid and rotate the wheel lock to lock a few times and see if it gets better.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I edited it to make it easier to read.