Bought my wife a car, has a/c probs. Come on in

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought my wife a car, has a/c probs. Come on in

Car is a 2000 Saturn LS1 (lol). I have been trying to see what the issue is with the cooling and I'm not sure if the compressor is bad. Compressor wouldn't engage b/c the system got too low. Put in a can of 134a to get the pressure above the switch threshold. Pressures read 35 high and low after the initial charge and the clutch engages now, but there's no pressure change. Seems like the compressor isn't working even with the clutch engaged. Bad compressor or something else?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I would add another can . But bypass the low pressure switch and see if the compressor will stay on. Also since saturns are discontinued parts are scarce. Last person I knew paid 750 for a used compressor
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

If pressures are equal on both sides.Its a good indication that the compressor isnt doing its job
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already added a can which bypassed the pressure switch and turned the clutch on. I could hear the compressor running but it made some noise probably due to low oil in the system. I was just curious about these cars as they have variable displacement compressors and I didn't know how they would act with a very low charge.

I agree that it sure sounds like the compressor is not doing anything, I think I will pull a vacuum on it, replace whatever leaks, and give ut an oil charge to see if it will start cooling.

Quick Reply: Bought my wife a car, has a/c probs. Come on in