Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 new clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 new clutch slipping

Hey everyone, I just bought an 01 z28 and have never had to deal with a slipping clutch. The guy I bought it from installed a new southbend stage 2 clutch 3 weeks ago and drove it less than 20 miles before i bought it, he told me it was slipping and that he figured the master cylinder or slave cylinder needed replacing. It has a ram adjustable master cylinder in it now. Is there a way I can diagnose it here at home?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Teching In

The easiest way to really diagnose a slipping clutch is to put it in 5th or 6th gear low rpm and just punch the throttle. If the rpm increases but speed doesn't, then yes your clutch is slipping. Two possible reason, slave cylinder is bad and have to pull the tranny to replace it, or since the master is adjustable. You could try to back the adjustment out and see if maybe it was applying pressure by accident.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM

I could definitely feel it slip driving it home from buying it, I pretty much did just that, punched it in 5th, didnt go anywhere. He said the master cylinder was already fully adjusted and that it was like it wasnt able to put enough pressure. As far as it being the slave vice master cylinder, is there another test i can do to rule one or the other out? Thx for the help

also, I dont have much to compare it to because I just got the car but as far as I can tell there arent any issues at the pedal, Ive read other posts saying their pedal was falling to the floor, etc.

Last edited by gofaster3092; 09-22-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gofaster3092
Hey everyone, I just bought an 01 z28 and have never had to deal with a slipping clutch. The guy I bought it from installed a new southbend stage 2 clutch 3 weeks ago and drove it less than 20 miles before i bought it, he told me it was slipping and that he figured the master cylinder or slave cylinder needed replacing. It has a ram adjustable master cylinder in it now. Is there a way I can diagnose it here at home?
A bad slave or MC would not cause the clutch to slip unless you got fluid all up in there. You could have the slave shimmed or adjusted incorrectly causing pressure on the PP with pedal released.

A slipping clutch is almost always caused by oil contamination on the friction surfaces. Since it's new, that would be my guess.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Ok cool ill check it out, thanks for the help!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM

Im trying to figure out how I need to check the adjustment of the master cylinder to ensure It is adjusted as much as it can go, anyone able to explain how i do that?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 AM

So I took it to a shop and they told me the m/c was bad, but then they tried to sell me an entire clutch kit, m/c, and slave, with installation and charge me $2650, Im a n00b as far as working on my own car but number 1, that seemed overpriced...?, especially for oem and number 2, I didn't tell them it had a new clutch and flywheel until after they tried to sell me one. After I told them that they basically said that they weren't actually able to say whether or not I needed a new clutch, which makes me think they didn't even look anywhere past the m/c once they saw it was bad.

Is $2650 for oem parts and installation about normal?

And is it just a coincidence that the m/c is also out?
Originally Posted by badazz81z28
A bad slave or MC would not cause the clutch to slip...
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, that's too much money. MC or slave could be bad, even brand new, though they would cause it to not release. FYI, had a brand new slave from advance auto leak. Monster clutch buys them bulk, so the seals are fresh & not dried out.

One detail not everybody knows(I didn't first 2 ls clutches), most diaphragm assemblies cannot be unbolted & put back on without being reset with special tool.

Not familiar with your brand clutch, but bottom line is likely a clutch itself or slave cylinder shimming issue which will need removal to take care of.

If you run out of options for a shop near you, consult a gm dealer . They could at least put in an ls7 clutch as an upgrade for less than you were quoted.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 PM

Ok, cool thanks for the help.

I contacted the south bend, the clutch manufacturer, just to ask some questions and they were really helpful and actually said theyd honor the warranty even though I wasn't even the original buyer. that's awesome, so im having it yanked and sent in for a new one, and ill have it installed correctly.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Labor is expensive! So yes anything you are paying to have done to your car is going to be $$$$$

The clutch is nothing more than a friction material sandwiched between two metal plates.

If the clutch is new...the likely problem is; its contaminated with a fluid source (oil or brake fluid) or there is pre-load pressure on it from the slave/bearing.

Is there a release issue? Can you shift?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

One possibility is the guy who put the clutch in put grease on the splines that has slung off onto the clutch.

Quick Reply: ls1 new clutch slipping