Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate ECM and modified LS questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate ECM and modified LS questions

Hey, I'm building an LS3 for a kit car, and I've settled on a 4" stroker with forged internals, 4.070" bore, -5cc flat top pistons and stock height/combustion chamber LS3 heads, and a relatively mild cam and 1.8 ratio rockers, and it is getting close to time to try and start it up(within a month now). Fueling is probably a bit overkill with ZL1 injectors, so I expect it might run rich first start up without a tune? I'm using what I have for engine control, which is the GM supplied crate engine ECM and wiring harness for an LS376/430. Is it safe to start the engine on this with the stock flash? Obviously I'll want to have it dyno tuned, but I'd really like to be able to do that in a finished car, and be able to know the engine fires and runs before going to the trouble of putting it in the car.

I'm brand new to LS engines but as far as I can figure it should run like this, on an engine stand? Feel free to tell me I'm being dumb and should just take it somewhere for first fire up, that is why I'm asking before doing...
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up

If it were me I would find someone local that has hp tuners/Efi live and get it running that way. They could come to you and all you need is an obd2 for them to tune it. Then you could make sure you have everything working right before you just trailer it to a dyno to find out something isn't working for your set up. Depending on how much bigger the injectors are than what is in the PCM programming it may be too rich to idle. It will prolly cost ~150-200 since it costs $100 bucks for credits or whatever per car, but that seems like a small price to protect such a large investment.

Quick Reply: Crate ECM and modified LS questions