Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Guess I'm ready for an LS1tech thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guess I'm ready for an LS1tech thread

Couple suspension questions as I get more familiar with my car and get it on track.

There's a very minor clunk (almost a click) from the front end at low speeds on uneven pavement. I'm thinking endlink bushings, but I didn't notice any looseness when I had the wheels off. Is this a likely culprit, or something else? No steering slop, control arm bushings all look good. Recommendations for replacement if this is the responsible part?

There's a tendency to squirm under hard accel; I had an E36M3 with a blower that really tried to kick its own *** until I replaced the rear trailing arm bushings. Obviously, the rear suspension here is a lot different - any suggestions for a common wear item that leads to (guessing) toe changes under hard accel? It's not really all that bad, but a bit disconcerting to feel the car fighting itself to keep going straight.

It's an 05, all stock, coming up on 70K.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Change the swaybar bushings. Just check the end links for excessive play.. If none then no need to replace em. I had the same issue.. I changed front and rear bushings and endlinks but the end links were fine.. Already had em so I changed em anyway.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your clunk/click sounds almost exactly like the sound I have coming from the front of my car. 05 almost the exact same mileage. I have narrowed it down to what I think is sway bar end links. There are no signs of wear on any of the steering components or bushings. The sound is almost identical to the one I had from the front of my F250 which are notorious for crapping out sway bar end links. Same principle though, the stock end links are built like a ball joint on each end. They start to wear out from lateral forces and thats where the clunk comes from most of the time. Check them by taking the end links off and trying to pull/push on the threads and wiggling the joints around. A dead giveaway is if there is any damage to the dust/grease boots at the ball joint. If they make any kind of noise or feel like you can move them too freely then its probably time to replace them. If you can do it by hand then its probably magnified a bunch by the weight of the vehicle and forces on the sway bar as the suspension cycles.

As for the RTABs, these cars arent known for annihilating them like the E36's are. I had one of those too...used to kill some rear tires before I got the toe in check. What youre probably feeling is GM's compensation for comfort vs handling characteristics. They used a much softer durometer bushing in almost every point on these cars to give it that Cadillac feel. If you are going to be driving the car hard or tracking it, I would just go ahead and plan on putting everything RevShift has to offer in the *** end of the V. Learned my lesson with my E36 and wont be doing a lot of suspension modification until all of the bushings are in check. You can toss a ton of money at coilovers and suspension work, but if those suspension components aren't staying located in the right places throughout the suspension cycle, youre not going to see the full benefits of stuff like a good spring/shock combo or coilovers.

Last edited by StretchASU; 09-25-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the same problem I have as well. I've researched the issue alot and my final conclusion is the sway bar endlinks and these seem to be the cheapest best option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121162354439...84.m1423.l2649
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Leal
Sounds like the same problem I have as well. I've researched the issue alot and my final conclusion is the sway bar endlinks and these seem to be the cheapest best option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121162354439...84.m1423.l2649
Are these a bolt in replacement? I have a broken end link and have yet to stop at the parts store and price out new ones.

Quick Reply: Guess I'm ready for an LS1tech thread