Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thirdgen Trans AM LQ4 Build First Start!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thirdgen Trans AM LQ4 Build First Start!

Hey all!

I havent really posted on tech much. Mostly because my car has been down for the last few years. The other day I FINALLY got it to the point where I could start it.

Ive been building an LQ4 for a while now. Started with an 04 Silverado 2500 LQ4. After digging into it, I found it had a trashed thrust bearing. So, it got new everything basically. New (reman) crank, deglazed the cylinders, all new bearings, ARP rod bolts, PatG cam, new timing set...and some other odds and ends. Its going to run my old MTi Stage II heads. 862 castings. Not too many people running that combo, so we'll see what happens there. Still have my fast 90 and NW TB. And eveything else that was on my LS1 before I killed it.

I wont get into the build TOO much unless you all want to see pictures or more details. But here is the first start video. I still cant believe how quick it fired up. I need to track down a high idle issue. Scan gauge is saying my TPS is at 50% with throttle closed. And my AFR is 12.5:1 according to my wideband. So...something is going on. Not sure if its tune related or if I just messed something up. Going to double check my wiring and TPS sensor.

Check out my youtube channel for more build videos. I have the deglazing video, block assembly, ARP install, head assembly, Racetronix pump install etc on there. Along with some other random stuff from the build.

Thanks for checking it out!

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fixed my issues. Turns out the TPS was bad. From sitting I guess...?

Anyway, everything seems to be working great now. Still have a couple small bugs to figure out. Might have a fuel pressure issue, but I have to verify with a mechanical gauge.

Here is a new video after installing the TPS. Seems like its good to go now.

J.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very detailed and neat build bro, what are your plans for this car? (Street/Strip)?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

FUN!!!

Haha. Its going to see mostly street duty. But I want to do some fun nights at the track too. Plan to get some good tires for the back for track use, but otherwise run it like it is.

Majority of its time will be on the street though. Driving to work, on nice days, etc. I really want to get to some cruise nights and meets since its been so long. Once Im done getting it back together, the next big thing is paint. The car is a very straight and solid 40k mile car. Only 3 dings to speak of and all original panels. Interior is "done", or as done as I want. Engine bay will be pretty much good to go. Its not spotless. But, I drive it. It sees rain (hopefully not much this time), and sits outside. Cant expect it to stay show quality.

J.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ghetto! Always watch your threads on thirdgen, happy to see that you got her sorted out and fired up. Sounds mean after you got all the little things figured out. You going to paint the car the same color?

Really like your gauges by the way. Definitely copying that setup for my 92 z28 swap lol. Should I prepare my wallet accordingly or is it not as bad as I am anticipating?
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks warnd. I thought about starting a thread over here at least for the build portion. Not really sure why I didnt. Maybe I still will...esp once I know it works haha.

Color..not sure. It might be matte black for a while until I can save up for a good paint job. When it does get painted, it will either get the same scheme (dark blue metallic on top with silver GFX) or it'll be black like my old car.

Guages werent too bad. I got some online and some from autozone when I worked there. So I was able to order them at a good price. If you go for a full set up, then add in fuel pressure, programmable fuel level, and wideband, the price skyrockets.

There are some other options out there that I would probably go with if I ever re-do it. First on my list is Sport Comp II's. I have one in my turbo legacy and its a great looking gauge. Love the backlighting. The other would be those thin gauges from speedhut. I think they're from speedhut... They offer GPS speedo, customizable front faces, and the lighting Im after. At a decent price.

J.

Quick Reply: Thirdgen Trans AM LQ4 Build First Start!