Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 turbo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 turbo ?'s

I'm getting ready to pick up a 5.3 to start wrenching on for the turbo build ive been wanting to do. Before I pick one up I was wondering which year the 5.3s changed rods. I know the early ones had weaker rods. Which year did they start using the stouter rods? Also should I stick with the truck intake or go with an ls6? The build so far is planned

Flipped manis
Ls6 cam
Ls9 headgaskets
Upgraded rod bolts
Arp head bolts/studs
Some better valve springs
Basic rebuild, (rod bearings, rings)
Ebay turbo

Anyone have any suggestions about any of this? Or any input to parts?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Teching In

as far as i can remember 04 is when the full floating rods started to make an appearance. i bought an 06 5.3 and it for sure has them. as far as the intake goes its up to your budget/goals. pretty much anything that makes more power NA will also make more power FI. not sure what a "budget build" to you is because everyone has a different budget but don't forget the cost of machine work. your plans are very similar to mine. i bought my TA will 200k so i wanted a fresh motor. figured while it was apart id add arp rod/main bolts and head studs. needless to say it added up pretty quick. now i just need to buy rings and i can assemble the shortblock and finally move to the real fun part.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Swflbt22
as far as i can remember 04 is when the full floating rods started to make an appearance. i bought an 06 5.3 and it for sure has them. as far as the intake goes its up to your budget/goals. pretty much anything that makes more power NA will also make more power FI. not sure what a "budget build" to you is because everyone has a different budget but don't forget the cost of machine work. your plans are very similar to mine. i bought my TA will 200k so i wanted a fresh motor. figured while it was apart id add arp rod/main bolts and head studs. needless to say it added up pretty quick. now i just need to buy rings and i can assemble the shortblock and finally move to the real fun part.
Cool deal ill look for a newer one. And I say budget because I'm going to do it as cheap as possible but I am going to do replace bearings and rings and such instead if using the factory stuff already in it. Ill probably do the oil pump and all as well
Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

My opinion and I'm a nobody with a turbo 5.3 truck. Buy an 05 5.3 put in head studs and ls9 gaskets. Save your money on the rod bolts, oil pump and new rings and bearings and spend it on a cam speced for your setup. Rinse and repeat!!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Launching!

05+ have the better rods
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1969x11
My opinion and I'm a nobody with a turbo 5.3 truck. Buy an 05 5.3 put in head studs and ls9 gaskets. Save your money on the rod bolts, oil pump and new rings and bearings and spend it on a cam speced for your setup. Rinse and repeat!!
I like it lol

Originally Posted by ACLR8R
05+ have the better rods
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 5.3 turbo ?'s