Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on Valve seal replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input on Valve seal replacement.

My car uses about 3/4 to a 1 qt every 1K. It puffs a little on start up and a little on WOT and Decell. I've done the catch can, LS6 Pcv, and chaning the valve guide seals in the AM. What are the chances that the seals could have gotten hurt by using too much air when changing the springs? I used about 120 psi and could hear the seals pop and a little air get past. Could this have hurt them? Car didn't use a drop until the cam/spring swap. Also any thing special about the 02' style seals with the one peice setup. Only done the older style swap (98-01). Any tricks?
Old 05-05-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

John, It looks as if you've covered about damn near everything possible except the valve seals to deal with your oil consumption. If it didn't burn any oil before the cam swap it should not burn any after unless something is wrong. 120psi for holding the valve up does sound a little excessive as I only used 40-45psi when changing my valvesprings. Changing the valve seals is the only area left where oil could be escaping other than blowby past the rings. I would replace them and see what happens. HTH
Old 05-07-2004, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

The valve seals are done! Pretty easy job. Had about 4 intake seals that didn't look to be sealing good. They were wet on the inside and lots of oil on top of the valve guide. I hope this fixes my problem! Only time will tell!