Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Switched from gas (110) to Ethanol (E-85)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Back in the staging lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Switched from gas (110) to Ethanol (E-85)

Thought I'd post the numbers for those interested. Only change was E-85 and a tune. First numbers on 110 were STD, E-85 are SAE. This is a n/a 7L LS1 through th400, 12 bolt and 28" tire.

E-85

Last edited by Beeler422; 10-20-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Can you explain the difference between STD and SAE #'s? always see it but don't know the difference.

Also how much difference in total timing did it change from gas to the e85? and did you have a wideband on it?

what plug and gap?

sorry for all the questions lol, just did the same thing myself and i'm getting my junk tuned in a couple months. thanks.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Back in the staging lane

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
Can you explain the difference between STD and SAE #'s? always see it but don't know the difference.

Also how much difference in total timing did it change from gas to the e85? and did you have a wideband on it?

what plug and gap?

sorry for all the questions lol, just did the same thing myself and i'm getting my junk tuned in a couple months. thanks.
I'm probably not the best to explain the difference between SAE and STD. I think there are several posts on here if you search for it. Basically STD #s will read higher than SAE, but SAE gives more accurate numbers. I've heard anywhere from 2.5-4% difference. There are correction factors involved that do the calculations.

I would have to ask the tuner about the timing change. I couldn't tell you. He did run a wideband on the dyno.

Plugs are TR-55s at .40. I may switch to TR6s though because I think I'm going to spray it.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beeler422
I'm probably not the best to explain the difference between SAE and STD. I think there are several posts on here if you search for it. Basically STD #s will read higher than SAE, but SAE gives more accurate numbers. I've heard anywhere from 2.5-4% difference. There are correction factors involved that do the calculations.

I would have to ask the tuner about the timing change. I couldn't tell you. He did run a wideband on the dyno.

Plugs are TR-55s at .40. I may switch to TR6s though because I think I'm going to spray it.
got ya, Maybe someone else can chime in because i've always thought on e85 you want to run a much colder plug, like 2 to 3 steps colder and you want a non projected tip plug. At least that's what i found in doing my research when switching over to the fuel. I would seriously look into the plug deal, i think you may be using the wrong plugs.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=295247
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_07...e/viewall.html

not much but just a quick search.

I would be interested in seeing how much more timing it wanted. I've yet to had mine tuned but i'm guessing it'll want 3 or more degrees.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Back in the staging lane

Originally Posted by BIGsmokey10
got ya, Maybe someone else can chime in because i've always thought on e85 you want to run a much colder plug, like 2 to 3 steps colder and you want a non projected tip plug. At least that's what i found in doing my research when switching over to the fuel. I would seriously look into the plug deal, i think you may be using the wrong plugs.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=295247
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_07...e/viewall.html

not much but just a quick search.

I would be interested in seeing how much more timing it wanted. I've yet to had mine tuned but i'm guessing it'll want 3 or more degrees.
Good to know. Thanks! I just emailed the tuner and asked him about the timing. I will let you know when I hear back.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Std and sae are very close.

My numbers for example:

Sae 994 = STD 1012
Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Back in the staging lane

Originally Posted by Camper
Std and sae are very close.

My numbers for example:

Sae 994 = STD 1012
I don't think that's typical though.

Quick Reply: Switched from gas (110) to Ethanol (E-85)