Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

06 cts-v rpms stay when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 cts-v rpms stay when shifting

Had a little time while waiting in the doctors office so figured id ask this question. The problem just started today on my 06 cts-v with 85k miles, I just bought it a week and a half ago and never owned an ls vehicle prior to this one so im pretty wet behind the ears on these motors but not necessarily motors in general.
When driving the clutch and throttle work as they should but when you press the clutch it holds the rpms where they are even with my foot of the throttle for a couple of seconds then the rpms drop like they should to shift. I've looked up similar situations on different vehicles and seen anywhere from a vacuum leak, to clutch switch, and dirty throttle body. Just looking for where to start on this. Thanks in advance for any and all help/info
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I have zero experience with this, but remember reading somewhere in the past couple years that someone had the same problem. Many V owners suggested the throttle position sensor or pedal position sensor. Maybe do a search in this forum for those words, but I'm not sure I saw it here.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can help but i need to know whats done to the car and if its been tuned.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't there a re-learn procedure to re-zero the closed throttle plate and accelerator pedal?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a clutch position sensor

Are you throwing any codes?

If it's the clutch position sensor it will throw a code and it wont let the cruise control be able to be turned on. That's the diagnostic for that issue

Other than that I have no idea
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Right now currently no codes and no mods except electronic exhaust cutouts put on by the previous owner. It's a virgin
Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wcryan
Could be a clutch position sensor

Are you throwing any codes?

If it's the clutch position sensor it will throw a code and it wont let the cruise control be able to be turned on. That's the diagnostic for that issue

Other than that I have no idea
Cruise control for some reason has been hit or miss. It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. That would make sense with it affecting that issue as well
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess:

1. Stock Dual Mass clutch is doing what they all do. Replace with an LS7 Slave and clutch.
2. Throttle is hanging. Search relearn.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 54inches
My guess:

1. Stock Dual Mass clutch is doing what they all do. Replace with an LS7 Slave and clutch.
2. Throttle is hanging. Search relearn.
Ill try the electronic throttle control relearn tonight after work
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dstumpf1262
It's a virgin

I've heard that lie before...
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

I've told that lie before.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Electronic throttle control relearn didn't work. Still wondering why im not throwing a code on it yet. Might see if I have a code pending or something since there's no cel yet
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of air box and filter, stock, cold air? Have you checked to see if that mass air flow sensor is dirty? Get a can of CRC mass air flow cleaner and clean it.

Did you check for vacuum leaks? With the car in neutral what happens when you rev the throttle, does it hang then or drop like normal? Test different speeds, cruising 40-50 let off the gas and press in the clutch, do the same at a slower speed like 10-15, see what that does.

Are you sure the car has never been tuned or messed with?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
I've told that lie before.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Old 10-24-2013, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, my 06 does this too...had it 3 years, done it since I got it. I replaced the clutch sensor a while back for other reasons which resulted in no change on the throttle running. I'm pretty convinced mine is the factory clutch/flywheel combo or perhaps a very random 'perfect storm' of factors causing the computer to get confused. My car most-often sees this when I start to accelerate and then have to jump off the gas unexpectedly around torque-peak (think busting through rush-hour traffic on the interstate) or when I'm heel-toe'ing down to a redlight on an offramp which is why I'm leaning towards inertia of the 3 ton flywheel as the culprit.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
What kind of air box and filter, stock, cold air? Have you checked to see if that mass air flow sensor is dirty? Get a can of CRC mass air flow cleaner and clean it.

Did you check for vacuum leaks? With the car in neutral what happens when you rev the throttle, does it hang then or drop like normal? Test different speeds, cruising 40-50 let off the gas and press in the clutch, do the same at a slower speed like 10-15, see what that does.

Are you sure the car has never been tuned or messed with?
Stock air box stock filter, ill check the maf sensor and id say it seems like it does it more in the first 3 gears or so going into 4th-6th is about normal I think. Ill check, test and verify
Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

I'm not sure if your issue is more serious than what I consider "normal", but I have noticed a lot of the newer LS cars I have driven with a 6 speed do hold the revs for a bit between shifts. I had to get used to this with the V as I often go 100% throttle and then want to skip gears and go to low throttle when I get up to speed. The revs hold for a second or so before dropping like you would expect.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Launching!

I remember looking into this a while back and the results that kept popping up was that this "rev-hanging" is something that is programmed into the ecu from the factory in drive-by-wire vehicles that prevents the throttle from dropping immediately to reduce emissions. The only way to get rid of it is to have it tuned out. Now if you still have the stock-dual mass clutch, the car will rev-hang even longer for "ease" of shifting.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
I remember looking into this a while back and the results that kept popping up was that this "rev-hanging" is something that is programmed into the ecu from the factory in drive-by-wire vehicles that prevents the throttle from dropping immediately to reduce emissions. The only way to get rid of it is to have it tuned out. Now if you still have the stock-dual mass clutch, the car will rev-hang even longer for "ease" of shifting.
I just don't remember it doing this the first week of ownership. Its mainly noticeable going from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd not so bad then 4th 5th and 6th it doesn't really do it at all. That paired with my cruise control not operating at all now so I figured the 2 were connected somehow but no check engine light to remove all doubt for me. I hope it's not just the "new car what was that noise/vibration/smell" mentality

Quick Reply: 06 cts-v rpms stay when shifting