Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rods?

How do you know if your tie rods are bad?
My car pulls me to one side over bumps and cracks in the road... Also doesn't feel too firm over 100..
Old 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack the car up, grab the wheel, pull fore and aft and listen for clunking and look for excessive play where the tie rod joins into the knuckle.

If its pulling to one side or another that can have a lot to do with tire pressure, alignment, the road itself (yes get on a road that has tractor trailer ruts in it and even the most properly aligned car will handle like poo).
Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the tie rod joint is inside a dust boot, you will need to reach in, compress the boot with your hand until you can feel the joint inside it and then move the linkage to feel the play in joint because you won't be able to see or hear it.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as a rule of thumb...

If your car is pulling one way or another....be careful and take your hand of the wheel for just a few seconds...

If the wheel remains in position and the car fades off in one direction or another, it's the suspension geometry pulling it that way (alignment).

If you let go of the wheel and the steering wheel is turning in the direction the car is pulling, its a bad tire pulling the car in that direction and not the alignment causing your problems.

Quick Reply: Tie rods?