Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are you using for EFI control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what are you using for EFI control?

Initially i was going to run the Holley EFI. Since i spent WAY more than i planned i do not think that is going to happen. Not completely ruled out but doubtful.

On my first LS swap in 2004 went with a modified harness and PCM unlock from a sponsor on here. Overall for what i spent i am happy with the purchase. Harness worked great (never a problem in the 7 years i owned it), tune sucked IMO. Would not idle for ****, hard time keeping it running on startup. It was supposed to be a SD tune but would not run W/O the MAF plugged in. I hadlocal shop tune it. It was better but not perfect. On cold startup it would race for a minute, i could not turn the AC on at idle or it would stall, bucked when it went into lockup. Again for the money i spent i wasnt mad but not completely satisfied. I understand how long it would take to get a car running 'perfect'. Time is money.

That experience has somewhat put me off from buying a new harness tune from the sponsors here. I am confident the harness will be great but i do not trust a mail order tune. IMO too many variables. So after spending $600-800 i would still have to buy tuning software.

The things i am leaning towards are:

I have an 04 GTO harness and PCM. Make my own harness and purchase HP tuners for $500. Realistically another $100 or 200 for relay box and nice loom.

Megasquirt MS3X. Cost is $920.

What have you guys ran? What where your deciding factors and are you completely happy with them?

Thanks, Rich.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holley here. Tech help is great. I have installed a stock pcm with a new harness and for a dead shock engine it worked out great. If it is not stock the holley is much easier to tune.

Tim
Old 10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess combo would help. 2006 LQ4, brian tooley cam, T56, LS2 intake.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holley here for me as well....
couldnt be easier to do.....

pretty much its a plug and play system....
Turn the key, the car will run...
minor adjusting from your end, and its self correcting.

if you do have any issues, the Holley Tech help is great...
they can even explain what you need to adjust to fix "issues" you may have in your tune.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of what your are asking depends on your goals.

If I was running an overdrive transmission on a street vehicle - GM all the way, you really can't beat it for the money and flexibility. This especially holds true if he engine is stock or close to it. Even heavily modified engines can run well with the factory PCM assuming you have someone who can calibrate it. Manual transmission cars aren't controlled by the PCM except the reverse lock out so they are a toss up.

If you plan on racing and want to turn more than 8000 RPM, the Gen III GM stuff won't support that and the few Gen IV PCM's I've looked at won't either. The spark map stops at 8000 RPM so I'm assuming it shuts down at that point but don't know for sure. I don't own / can't afford an engine that will turn that hard so I don't care.

If you want ultra simple and aren't using an overdrive automatic transmission; the GM stuff has a LOT of features and options you will never need and will probably turn off. This is where the aftermarket shines. My problem is in the aftermarket there is no inexpensive way about it. This also means a different calibration program your tuner may or may not be familiar with.

You mentioned getting the engine running properly - a good tuner can make a car fun or make you want to sell it (if the engine lives long enough). This holds true with the aftermarket controls too. There is no magic bullet - even (gasp) a carb requires a bit of knowledge and sometimes money to get adjusted properly.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

I am going to put a 5.3 with cam intake and speed density with a 4l60e and I will be using a Holley with a tci controller for the trans. I just can't rely on someone else to tune my car at $500 a crack.

My E85 conversion took 5 miles of driving and ran .10 faster of best ever on the first pass with no dyno time.
That would have cost a bunch to make a change that cost me nothing with a stock ecu
Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I am going to put a 5.3 with cam intake and speed density with a 4l60e and I will be using a Holley with a tci controller for the trans. I just can't rely on someone else to tune my car at $500 a crack.

My E85 conversion took 5 miles of driving and ran .10 faster of best ever on the first pass with no dyno time.
That would have cost a bunch to make a change that cost me nothing with a stock ecu
I have a Gas station just outside the racetrack that sells e85 and c16......
Just the short drive from the gas station to the track is enough to correct the fueling for the new gas.

and tim, consider getting the Older style red box TCI controller used before you buy a new ez-tcu...much more trans control and adjust ability in the old Red Box TCU (its a re branded PCS controller)
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

The idle and start up took a little time and 30% to the map was close. The driving was quick to correct in a short drive and the closed loop took over the wot no problem.

I will keep that in mind on the controller.

Quick Reply: what are you using for EFI control?