LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing 1996 LT1 Water Pump Gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing 1996 LT1 Water Pump Gear

Recent had a problem with the Z28 over heating turns out needs a new water pump gear/shaft. Just wondering what gaskets I will need to replace when taking parts off the car. I have water pump gaskets and seals already ordered, but will I need a new timing cover gasket or anything else? If I do anyone have a part number? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No timing cover gasket is needed, unless you are speaking of replacing the seal behind the water pump drive; if that's the case, then get the entire timing cover gasket kit - with all three seals, etc, etc...

My only suggestion, at it relates to re-installing the water pump - and I know the purists will cry "Heresy!" - but use a pair of water pump gaskets per side, with a very small amount of (Gasp!) sealant in that gasket sandwich.

As an individual who was sick of leaks at the water pump, this 'solution' plus some Teflon tape on the six water pump bolt threads, keeps my LT coolant leak free.

Having said that, I also don't believe in using that foul orange liquid called "Dexcool" either, so what do I know...

Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your talking about the actual gear that rides on the timing chain, I think you actually need to take off the intake to the remove the water pump gear. I can't remember though. The timing cover set will work. Intake gaskets, RTV sealant. Its kind of a big job actually for that stupid gear. You'll need a hub puller too.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 gaskets and if you want to replace the seal for the spline shaft that drives the pump off the the camshaft located on the timing cover..

If it was me I would do the optispark to!

I had a 96Z I miss it but my camaro SS 2010 to fill the void!,

I had a 388, LT4 lingenfelter heads, Cam, Vortec S trim, FLP full headers, Borla, BeeCool rad, hurst shifter, Enkei wheels, every GD suspension part from LGmotorsports...

I spent atleast 30K maybe more and all I have is a E-force supercharger and I make the same on my 2010 ss.. LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

replacing the WP gear drive....just buy the FelPro TC gasket set
and
You will need to lower the front of the oil pan to get off the timing cover. If you clean up old gasket you can re-seal with RTV or replace the entire gasket....which is a big job with motor in car

the gear assembly is driven in from front of block so it can get 'stuck" and take some effort to remove

since you need to pull the timing chain/gear to get to it, inspect your chain for slack & replace if needed

Quick Reply: Replacing 1996 LT1 Water Pump Gear