LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Charcoal Canister Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal Canister Questions

I am building my car after it has sat for 7 years. It starts and runs, but it is building excessive pressure in the fuel tank to the point it hisses loudly when taking the cap off and spits fuel back out the filler neck when trying to put gas in.

I have removed the EVAP solenoid on the intake (programmed out by Moe) and clipped the line to it at the front fender. I like the idea of the canister catching vapors and reducing fuel smell, not to mention it is parked right by my hot water heater in the garage! Can it still be functional without the intake pulling pressure on it or should I go ahead and remove it putting a filter in place of the canister?

Also, could the fuel tank vent valve be contributing to the issue? My understanding is that it is more responsible for allowing cool air in than pressure out, but I could be mistaken. It is a discontinued part so I'm hoping I do not have to replace it. Please let me know if you guys need any more information to accurately answer my questions. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Did you have these problems before you removed the solenoid? If not I'd remove it and put a filter in place of it and see if that does any good.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Teching In

No, but that was 7 years ago. I'll probably end up pulling the line and checking for blockages and running it without it for comparison. Just curious if any gurus had input on it.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

With 7 years of sitting you are going to need to thoroughly check those fuel lines. I'd imagine that you have one that gummed up enough to cause the type of pressure you are talking about.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
With 7 years of sitting you are going to need to thoroughly check those fuel lines. I'd imagine that you have one that gummed up enough to cause the type of pressure you are talking about.
I'm hoping not, but yeah, I agree that may be a possibility. Guess I'll just have to try it and find out for myself.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Since the pressure control valve may be suspect, just remove the hose connection for the control valve at the canister and see if that does what you want. Pretty easy to reach and a quick way to check things out.

... Larry S.

Quick Reply: Charcoal Canister Questions