Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 hard to get in gear...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 hard to get in gear...

Got an unusual problem with my 6-speed that just came up in last couple weeks I am looking for direction before tearing into. Sometimes trans is very hard to get into gear, sometimes so bad I have to shut off to get in gear then restart. Also shifting into any gear is hard to get in and even makes a high pitched squeal sound between shifts. I have checked fluid level its fine and pedal feels good. Have checked with car not running and with clutch pushed in I can easily shift through gears. But with not running and ignition switch turned partially, with clutch in it is problematic and very hard to go through gears.. Any advice? Sounds like something more than a clutch problem considering it has about 10k miles on it and has never given problems before. Transmission has about 150k and has never been rebuilt.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem. my car has 80k on it and to my knowledge the tranny and clutch are original and never been rebuilt. I do have some performance mods done to it tho so im thinking the added power just took its toll.

I have a real hard time shifting into reverse as well as first, and sometimes ill have trouble getting into other gears and sometimes I hear the high pitched squeal you mentioned.

early mayish my clutch master cylinder went out, replaced it with a tick and had no problems up until September maybe theni started having the shifting problems, I thought maybe it was just never bled properly although found it odd it took that long to show, ive since bled it twice (traditional way) and still have the same problem. I parked the car for the winter this weekend and plan on putting a monster stage 2 in but hopefully this thread will reveal something else and cheaper is the problem..
Old 11-18-2013, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has just started to become an issue I would suspect either the master or the pressure plate bolts are backing out. Have you done a rev test to confirm a disengagement issue?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont mean to hi-jack the thread but seeing as how I have the same issue I feel im fine here haha
I did a rev test, put it in first, clutched in and revved it up to 5k. first I thought it did move a inch or two. I stopped and did it two more times paying even closer attention and the car stayed perfectly still
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have one of the springs from the clutch disk floating around causing the clutch to drag
Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

to confirm if clutch is disengageing just jack up rear of car, start motor, put in gear holding clutch pedal down....if rear tires move the clutch is not disengageing causing hard shifts. This will wear syncros on tranny.

old fading hydraulics, typically MC, can cause this. slave also.

If you feel your hydraulics are in good order...clutch is worn and needs replacing

pilot bearings can fail draging input shaft which will effect shifting but hydraulics are often the problem

Quick Reply: T56 hard to get in gear...