Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D and OD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy transmission questions

I just got my car back from the transmission being rebuilt about a month ago. At the same time i got a TCI SSF 3500 torque convert and B&M 24,000 supercooler put on.

Recently I had noticed that the converter would not stay locked at highway speeds. It would lock and unlock randomly. I asked around on here what could be the problem. People told me the computer was reading false misfires because of the change in rotating mass and that it wouldnt hurt to drive it until I got programming done later....

Today I was making a trip to my college for some stuff and I felt 4th gear start slipping again I stopped when it got bad and popped the selector down to D and jumped back on the interstate. About that time I felt third gear go

What could be the problem? I no longer have 3rd or 4th gear! I originally took it in for the rebuild because 4th was slipping occasionally. Now after its been "fixed" its even worse...

Last edited by raceguy333; 05-08-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds like your rebuild wasn't right. An aftermarket converter won't cause that behavior. Call your tranny guy - hope you have a warranty.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Sounds like your rebuild wasn't right. An aftermarket converter won't cause that behavior. Call your tranny guy - hope you have a warranty.
luckily i was on the way to the shop to ask him about the lock up problems... it broke about 2 miles from him.. so i limped there in 2nd...

it has a warranty, but it does not cover "problems caused by torque converter" because it was aftermarket. he told me he couldnt get it on a lift until monday to check it. thats why i was asking, i wanted to know what could have caused it so when he says "it was the converter" like i know he will because he doesnt want to fix it for free, i can tell him like it is..

thanks
Old 05-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, of course, there are always ways to try to wiggle out of a warranty - tranny guys blame TCs and TC companies blame trannies, etc. .... However, there are dozens of guys on this board running the SSF3500 without the problems you've had. You've got a cooler, so he can't blame heat, maybe he'll claim the TC created a low line pressure problem. Be prepared to talk to Kevin at TCI and to use this board if he starts down that road. You'll have to wait and see what he says. TCI has an excellent reputation for reliability, though.