Sponsored by:

The Dredded Wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dredded Wiring!

Evening All,

I am planning the logistics of putting a LS2 into a BMW E30. I would like your advice on the wiring, do I try and get the wiring the LS2 came out of or do I buy a custom loom? Where is the best place to get information on wiring diagrams?

Thanks
Jack
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

i bought a standalone harness from bill at bp automotive and it was the best money i spent on the swap
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

IMO either get the entire wiring harness from the donor and rewire it yourself (if you are decent with wiring go for it, I did mine and had no problems) use lt1swap.com for a guide, or just buy an all new stand alone harness from one of the vendors on here. Mine took probably 8 hours checking and double checking, but I could probably do another one in 2 hours if I had the stuff. Honestly, the wiring is the part I am the most proud of in my swap.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you got the skills to do some soldering and stuff.. it is a great learning to understand what it takes for the EFI system to work.

But like everyone said.. the Sites Vendors are great way to go.. and they are not to badly priced.

I have done two conversion myself and the second one was better that the first one I did..

BC
Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One question you need to ask yourself is do you plan on doing future engine mods that will require re-tuning the engine? If the answer is yes I would look at buying a Holley EFI setup. They come with the harness and ecm, but more importantly there are options for it to self tune the engine eliminating the need to pay $200-$500 to have a tune your motor every time you make a change.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the factory ECU and harness that came with the engine. Most of the salvage places that sell engines will try to sell everything together. Engine, transmission, ECU, harness and electronic gas pedal. If you can get everything together it makes things much easier.

There's a coupe different reasons to do it yourself. 1) If something fails, you'll likely know right where to go to fix the problem. 2) You can say you did all the work

Here's a couple LS2 related links that I used while doing my swap. I'm sure you can dig up some E30 diagrams. Hell, I even bet someone has already done the swap and has everything documented somewhere.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...ngineType.aspx

http://www.hsv-gts.ls2.com/2005GTOECM.pdf

http://www.hsv-gts.ls2.com/2005GTOEn...Connectors.pdf
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all of the reply guys, this forum is awesome. I think I will try and modify the existing loom, as I like a challenge. From the websites posted in the replies, are these the best to work out where each connector is meant to connect to if I get the loom that came with the engine. My plan is to strip and rebuild the engine when I get it putting aftermarket parts in (which I will be asking in the future) Then put it in the engine and have it tuned on a rolling road.

Quick Reply: The Dredded Wiring!