Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Stereo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Advice

OK my Monsoon CD player is screwing up and to replace the jacked up speakers and stereo it will be approx $1000 for parts and service. My question is if you were in my shoes and willing to spend about that much for good sound, what would you guys get (as far as speakers and Stereo) and why?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Holy christ all mighty! $1,000 to replace the crappy monsoon system!!?!?!!? HELL NO! I see two very good options for you.

#1= Buy an aftermarket headunit and replace your speakers with one of the two threads "stickied" at the top of this forum. Cheap and easy to do yourself.

#2= With $1k you could probably ditch the monsoon amp as well and go aftermarket. Actually, you MIGHT even be able to squeeze in a 10" subwoofer with $1k budget. Do the install yourself. It's not hard at all. We are here to walk you through every step if need be.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

you can definately build a system for $1k if you do the install yourself. not sure if i can post the link here since they arent a sponsor, but i know a site where i just went and tried it myself... replacing the headunit, all 6 speakers with infinity kappas, and a clarion amp i only "spent" $670...
you could definately throw a kicker 8" solobaric (should play louder than a lot of 10s) and an amp for $330...

pm me if you want the site
Old 05-09-2004, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I’ve got a full system built for less than $1,000. The head unit is the Pioneer sized for GM, a DEH-P47DH (cost about $180). The HU has nice internal crossovers, which, when combined with the crossovers in the amp, provide a total of two 24 db crossovers set at 80 Hz.
I have JBL GTO 6 1/2" components in the front doors (cost about $130). I used plenty of Dynomat but I should have used a lot more. The door is still too resonant at high volumes so I will have to take the doors off again.
The JBL GTO tweeters are mounted at the bottom corner of the dash.
In the rear, Kicker Resolution rc6, 6 1/2" midbass speakers are in the sail panels, (cost about $90) with a pair of passive home-built Linkwitz-Riley low-pass crossovers at 600Hz (cost about $40) that begin to cut at 300Hz and are 12 db down at the 600 Hz frequency, as listed on Solen's crossover charts.
The sub is a single JL Audio W3v2 6ohm DVC sub, wired in parallel, (cost about $210) running off 150 watts bridged from one channel of the AudioBahn AB 4x50 amp (cost about $200) in a home-built 1.0 cubic foot MDF enclosure (cost about $40) on the rear passenger side, spare tire well.
The other pair of outputs of the 4 channel amp runs all the other speakers above 80 Hz, wired in parallel at about 2 ohms.
RCA cables cost about $60 and speaker wire about $20.
There are plenty of equivalent parts, and this list of is just a for example of one way. It sounds great to me!