Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any guys with with stock shortblocks n/a running a vacuum pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Any guys with with stock shortblocks n/a running a vacuum pump?

Just wondering if its worth it.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

theres definitely no disadvantage to it as long as you use a relief valve to keep pressures in check

the only benefit you get from a vacuum pump on a stock shortblock is you solve any leaks the block might have, and you can get rid of moisture from inside the block

you really need rings designed for a vacuum pump to see any real serious gains from it

I'm not saying you wont see gains...as you will always see some...but dont expect a lot of extra power from it on a stock block.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard of turbo folks running vacuum pumps, but never been explained exactly what they do or the purpose of them? So why do people run them?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
I've heard of turbo folks running vacuum pumps, but never been explained exactly what they do or the purpose of them? So why do people run them?
better sealing rings.....
= more power

anything with possible blow by(basically any power adder)...and you can get that crap out of your crankcase...
positive pressure in the crankcase kills power...negative pressure in the crankcase helps power (to an extent....you can pull too much and suck oil off of wrist pins and other important parts that need lube all the time)

they also condense and remove moisture from your oiling system
low pressure causes the moisture to condense..

it also pulls oil vapors out of your crankcase...same effect as your PCV system..only it goes out to a catch can and either condenses in the can on the inside surfaces or it blows out the breather into the atmosphere.

a really good catch can with proper baffles will give it something to stick to and will form droplets(oil and water) that will fall to the bottom and you can ocassionally drain it
you should see no more than a thimble full per 1/4 mile pass...if you see more, then you need better baffles where it is pulling from in the crankcase/valve covers/valley...wherever your location is..

I use a moroso 3 vein enhanced pump...and I pull 17" of vacuum at WOT if I dont use the relief valve I bought for it.
I bleed it down to 12" at WOT and it sits at 4"-6" at part throttle

Last edited by soundengineer; 12-09-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Any guys with with stock shortblocks n/a running a vacuum pump?