Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changing clutch, release bearing question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing clutch, release bearing question.

I replaced the slave cylinder complete with release bearing with a GM unit maybe 5k miles ago. The slave was bad but the sticky pedal problems are because of this stupid GM pressure plate. Anyway I have MAYBE 5k miles on my GM slave/release bearing (5 Months old, not a daily driver car).

My monster clutch came with a new release bearing. Was thinking should I change the GM bearing out or leave it? Monster is probably an aftermarket unit. My release bearing isn't making any noise that I know of. I plan on visually inspecting it when I drop the trans again but I'm thinking it's fine.

I'm leaning more towards leaving the GM one on. What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? I'd honestly rather leave an OEM release bearing than put an aftermarket one on personally (Used to have a 2V mustang, aftermarket throw out bearings were known to be junk compared to OEM)

Chris,
Old 12-13-2013, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSingh90
I replaced the slave cylinder complete with release bearing with a GM unit maybe 5k miles ago. The slave was bad but the sticky pedal problems are because of this stupid GM pressure plate. Anyway I have MAYBE 5k miles on my GM slave/release bearing (5 Months old, not a daily driver car).

My monster clutch came with a new release bearing. Was thinking should I change the GM bearing out or leave it? Monster is probably an aftermarket unit. My release bearing isn't making any noise that I know of. I plan on visually inspecting it when I drop the trans again but I'm thinking it's fine.

I'm leaning more towards leaving the GM one on. What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid? I'd honestly rather leave an OEM release bearing than put an aftermarket one on personally (Used to have a 2V mustang, aftermarket throw out bearings were known to be junk compared to OEM)

Chris,
I'm a "don't fix if it ain't broke" kinda guy, with that being said I'd inspect it and feel it for smoothness while in there. If it's fine, save ours as a back up
Hope that helps and thanks again for choosing a Monster!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll probably just leave it then if it looks ok. My next dilemma is whether of not I should touch the rear main seal while im in there, lol. I'll most likely change it though, no plans on the trans needing to be dropped for a long while after the new clutch and flywheel are in.

Chris,

Quick Reply: Changing clutch, release bearing question.