Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Relocation and Wire Length

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Relocation and Wire Length

Just curious on how this works.

Will I be able to simply get longer wires and move the coils were ever I want? Is there a certain wire length that I want to stay under?

Also can the coils them self be touching, or do they need to be spaced? Not sure if they will interfere with each other or not.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wire length is not an issue, unless your putting the coils in the trunk. Keep in mind that no mater where you put them the plug wires, the wire harness still has to be made to reach them.

As far as them touching each other? I wouldnt want them to because chaffing & heat might damage them.

Chad
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. I plan to move the coils to where the battery was originally mounted on my thirdgen camaro. Which is on the passenger side against the radiator support. So the driver side wires might be 2-3 feet long. Does this sound ok to do? It is a performance build, and if there will be a noticeable difference I will reconsider.

The battery is now in the trunk by the way.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the MSD build your own spark plug wire kit. I relocated my coils where my AC was and ran the drivers side under the oil pan between the K member. You have to buy the LS1 coil specific connectors though since the kit does not come with that style. I bought the 24" coil pack extension harnesses to allow everything to work. I also pulled apart the wiring of the coil pack harnesses and reshaped them how I wanted them to make them work better. I think my longest wire is about 3ft.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Man
Ok. I plan to move the coils to where the battery was originally mounted on my thirdgen camaro. Which is on the passenger side against the radiator support. So the driver side wires might be 2-3 feet long. Does this sound ok to do? It is a performance build, and if there will be a noticeable difference I will reconsider.

The battery is now in the trunk by the way.
You should be golden. Route and clamp the wires for a proffesional job, several options of wire clamps out there, choose one that accents and protects your hard work.

A bit of slack in your routing is ok, dont make the wires taught. I woud not recomend ZIP ties for the roughting either, they will chaffe and cut your wires.

Have fun!

Chad

Quick Reply: Coil Relocation and Wire Length