Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another High Idle Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another High Idle Thread

So my car has the famous high idle problem but idk what the fix is? I put a ported TB on my car a year and a half ago. Had a high idle every now and then, pretty common no big deal. Recently I took the TB to have it powdercoated. put a stock TB for a week or so then swapped the freshly powdercoated one back on. Now the damn thing idles at 1300+ unless the car is at a complete stop then it drops to 950 which is still high. It used to be around 800.

It idles higher when I go straight down a hill near my house and put the clutch in, rises to about 1800 but it is not based on speed. Even just rolling backwards out of my driveway it rises and that is rolling backwards no help from the trans. My car has the near style hollow PCV valve with the small hole. The car was tuned in September. The problem only started after the Tb was powdercoated. The guy did say he took It apart to powdercoat and I think a problem lies in there.

Any help?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump still have this problem any help? Really want to get this fixed.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still running the stock LS6 intake? Most commonly high idle is associated with a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a worn out spring in the tps on the side of the throttle body. Would not let my car idle down .ldled at 1000+ replaced the tps now car idles at around 800

Last edited by Warbird98; 03-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6ICK2k
You still running the stock LS6 intake? Most commonly high idle is associated with a vacuum leak somewhere in the system.
Yea stock LS6, im probably going to replace all the lines in the PCV system so i have a better routing for my catch can. Hopefully that will fix it.

Originally Posted by Warbird98
Mine was a worn out spring in the tps on the side of the throttle body. Would not let my car idle down .ldled at 1000+ replaced the tps now car idles at around 800
I let a buddy of mine borrow my stock TB so i will get it back and swap it over, thanks for the tips guys
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCV hose cracks between the manifold and valve. Electrical tape or a small piece of heater hose will suffice until you can afford/get around to '04 LS6 PCV conversion. You can see more about this in my build thread.

Quick Reply: Another High Idle Thread