Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna Get New Cam But Have a Few Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna Get New Cam But Have a Few Questions?

Given the mods below in signature I really want to go with a cam that will have a bit more kick. Been looking at the G5x2/x3 but need to know if I would need dual springs for that.

Also would I need to mill anything....I have heard lots of things regarding install and running these cams but I really want to know just exactly I need to do before I spend the money on one.

Next fall I will be spraying the car, so given that which would be better for me and what else would have to be done to the heads and springs to accomodate the cam?

Thanks for the help
Heather
Old 05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you hate it when no one replies lol? So do I. Anyway, both of the G5 cams will definatly give you a big kick. I think alot of guys are running the Comp 918 single spring and are doing okay. DO NOT get your heads milled with those cams, otherwise you will have to notch the pistons. The P/V clearance will be close as it is. Otherwise, you should be fine according to LG.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:03 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Heather, what's up.

Definately, DO NOT! run a single spring Comp 918 on anything over .600 lift.
Check out the Patriot Performance Gold Dual Springs for a good value. They'll take any lift we can throw at them on stock pistons, plus the aggressive lobe profiles of the new grinds out there will warrant the dual springs.

FUTRAL is making some killer cams which are posting 400+ rwhp cam-only numbers consistently.
Texas Speed has the trusty 231/237 (the one on my car- you know what it sounds like), which consistently puts out around 400rhwp cam-only, plus, the 231/237 is ground on some soft lobes which will let ya run Comp 918's no problem. It loves the spray too.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the PP duals a drop in spring? Just asking, I'm not really up to date on those. If so, I'm sure it would be better than the 918's for that big of a cam.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple of cams that would work for you. MTI's 232/236 R1 grind and TSP's 231/237 cam come to mind in terms of off-the-shelf cams.

If you really want to make some good power on the bottle, look for a cam with more exhaust duration than intake duration. Nitrous loves that.

Whatever cam you decide to get, don't skimp on the valvetrain. One failed spring can cause one failed motor.