Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Whipple off, rethinking my next option

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple off, rethinking my next option

I'm done with my 3.3l, the manifold on that thing is just no good for me.
I'm also sick of paying for tune time with that thing, my only other option would be to one off a new manifold design. I could, but I;m just sick of the thing and want something more bolt on.
Well delema time, I have heads, cam, forged internals and two optoins for a blower.
Eforce, a no brainer, will fit under my hood an strut brace.
2.9 whipple which is now offered for cathedral port heads in corvette belt offset.
Thing is, it sit 10 1/2" from the valley cover, while the mid section will fit under my power dome hood with minimal clearancing, i'm not so sure about the snout. May have to cut up my dome hood and raise the cowl another inch.
Also will have to cut up my beautiful strut brace to modify it too.
My pro and con list,
Whipple- It's a f***n whipple
Whipple looks nicer IMHO
More room to grow with the whipple
Con- more money
Con- more potential modifications.
Eforce pros
cheaper
more plug and play.

It could boil down to whether I would be happy with the eforce limitations.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What E-Force limitations are you speaking of specifically?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you can send me your whipple
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
What E-Force limitations are you speaking of specifically?
I just meant top end hp, more room to grow with the whipple if I choose.
I'm not sure what my eventual goals will end up being.

Originally Posted by RADEoN
you can send me your whipple
3500.00 you can have it.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Another forum member here has a stock LS3 with only an LS9 cam, his results are quoted below:

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
looks great DMM. Your having all the fun. I added meth and the 9lb pulley. Im pulling 615 to the wheels now. they said if I cram the bigger filter back in there I will get a few more
I do not think you'll have a problem getting what you're after.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
Another forum member here has a stock LS3 with only an LS9 cam, his results are quoted below:

I do not think you'll have a problem getting what you're after.
You are probably right. I drove my car a total of 30 miles in the last year, I'd be just happy to have it road ready by spring.
The damn whipple just makes me drool, but I'm not really keen on cutting up my hood.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the eforce once its really spun will make close to 800 with all supporting mods. if you want more than that id plan on turbo's
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

and pleaseeeeeeee dont cut that hood
Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Going to be honest with you man, why throw good money after bad? There are several of us making good power (sometimes too much) and we pretty much have the kinks worked out. There has not been one engine problem with the E-Force that I know of...more than a few clutch, tranny, or rear problems...but no engine problems at all.

If you go this route, I can give you some good advice on what you'll need to add or steer clear of. Just give me a shout before you buy.

It really sucks you have not been able to enjoy your V for a very long time.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

true this, that is why I come here, for someone to lay it on the line for me and set me straight. I am ready to buy, cash in hand.
I will pick your brain, I plan on just the head unit with idler and tensioner.
Does the fuel rail use long injectors or the short ones?
I'm also planing on ditching my current hex and pump, and will go with the ones you used.
I'll also pick your brain on pulleys with my current set up.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:11 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

You'll need the supplied fuel rails as they secure to the cast manifold, and shorty style SD or LS9 style injectors. The long (OE) style injectors cannot be used...no room. The rails tuck under the upper manifold casting and are a tight fit.

Honestly, the head unit, tensioner assembly, fuel rails, and bolt kit are all you need. You can use the Ford style 2.5 BAR TMAP sensor since you have a 2006, if you can get one without it, I have my take off that I'll never use which you're welcome to.

I am out of town until the end of the week, however I can set aside some time this weekend if you'd like to get all the particulars in order.

Edit: What HEX pump are you looking at? I ended up with the Meziere pump after going through two of the Johnson pieces of ****. You can see it here:https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...cam-heads.html
Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 2.5 bar map, from a supercharged cobalt. I thought the shorter style injectors only got up to so big?
So there are 60-65lb sd injectors?
Yeah if you have a parts list I will gladly like the info.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I have the parts list from my E-Force posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ery-today.html

My kit is listed as a universal C6 kit although it is not, it has the Camaro snout installed.

The problem here is that Edelbrock wants to sell these BS "Kits" and the garbage HEX, pump, lines, etc that come with them. I assume the mark every part up 200% and force you to buy them.

Anyhow, you'll need a C6 (LS2) Corvette head unit with the Camaro snout installed and Corvette LS2 tensioner assembly (cannot use the LS3 tensioner unless you use an LS3 water pump). Edelbrock does not sell to customers directly, so you're stuck HAVING to use a vendor. Unfortunately, most vendors know little about anything other than mark up, so it's hard to find someone that can speak intelligently to Edelbrock on your behalf to get you what you need. As a custom order, mine took 5 months to receive. You may be able to contact Edelbrock cust. service or tech assistance to help you order, I got mine when the E-Force was still relatively new and not many knew anything about them.

I sourced mine from Thomas Hendrix, I don't know if he still has a contact there or not. Since he was able to only order the Box 1 kit without all the BS, I only spent about $5200. Thomas mentioned they increased prices at time of my order, which is probably true since that was about the time when Magnacharger raised prices across the board.

There has only been only one other person to market these as far as I know - https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ally-here.html
I contacted the guy to ask a few questions and give him some ideas, when he finally did respond he was less than pleasant. Don't know if anyone has sourced one from him or not.

Last edited by DMM; 01-13-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yes thanks for the info. I'll relook at those threads.
My main other question will be about pulley size. If I remember correctly our builds are much the same. My compession is down to 9.1:1, I do have meth plumbed, but not really interested in pushing it with meth, may or may not even run it.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I would start with the 3.25" pulley, get the tune straight, then upgrade to the 3.0" or OD crank pulley. The 3.25" gives me just over 10 lbs. and about 9 lbs on an LS3. They make 2.75" pulleys, which when combined with the OD crank pulley should be enough for over 800 whp.

I am contemplating an Extreme Composite hood, and may upgrade to the E-Force Chevy Silverado lid for increased volume. If/when I do this, I'll drill and tap the lid for meth and spray the charge air after the rotors, but before the intercoolers for maximum benefit (as meth is designed). The E-Force is the only supercharger on the market (save for OE LS9 units) where this is possible due to the supercharger rotor/intercooler location.

Just food for thought.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I may have a couple more eventually.
Did MikeFKSspeed ever come through for anybody?
I've dealt with Hendrix before, and prefer not to do that again.
I too was actually thinking of plumbing the meth after the intercooler, once I see the set up I'll decide where to position them.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Mike dropped off after the RXT group buy. Completely understand your hesitance with Hendrix, everyone that has dealt with him knows exactly where you're coming from. Although I have to admit, he did get me what he promised for the best price going...just wish he could have gotten his act together since he could have been an asset to the LS communities.

It would be hard to spray after the intercoolers since they have to be sealed to the runners below them. Spraying immediately after the rotors will have an immediate evaporative cooling effect and will render the intercoolers more effective. Heat transfer through the intercoolers takes time (one reason why I am looking to replace the lid with the GM truck lid to increase volume, allowing the charge air more time to cool through the intercooler cores) where the evaporative cooling effect is immediate.

There will be time for all of this later...get your **** back on the road already!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

I'll start making some calls in the next day or two, see if I can find a vendor to play ball.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMM
I am contemplating an Extreme Composite hood, and may upgrade to the E-Force Chevy Silverado lid for increased volume. If/when I do this, I'll drill and tap the lid for meth and spray the charge air after the rotors, but before the intercoolers for maximum benefit (as meth is designed). The E-Force is the only supercharger on the market (save for OE LS9 units) where this is possible due to the supercharger rotor/intercooler location.
you could also do this on a mp112 or mp122 although probably not relevant for TC.

Quick Reply: Whipple off, rethinking my next option