Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Gauge wiring question

Ok, I'm in the process of installing an Autometer Water Temp gauge. I've got most of the connections done, now I just need the power hook up. In the fuse box, I've got open slots in the BAT, and ACC spots. Currently I've got my shift light powered in the IGN slot. Is either the BAT or ACCY a good choice for the gauge? I'm guessing BAT is always on, but is ACCY powered by the ignition, or is it a constant on too? Or does anyone have any other reccomended ways? Otherwise I'll try to squeeze them both in the IGN slot.

Also I haven't bothered trying to connect the gauge light. What is the best way to do that? Anyone know how to tap into the dimmer circuit? Or better ideas? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the larger gauge pink wire under the column is the main accessory wire, i used it for both my cutout, and radar detector.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The three fuse panel slots provide different power options... BAT is constant power regardless of the ignition key, IGN provides power in the Run and Accy positions of the ignition switch, ACC provides the same as IGN except that it also has the retained accessory power - it will continue to provide power for 10 minutes or until a door is opened after shutting off the ignition.

Use whichever best suits your needs. For example, I wired my radar detector to IGN because I don't want it on after I shut off the car but I wired XM radio to ACC because I want it to stay on as long as the radio is on. For the neatest installation, wire them to the connectors from the back side of the fuse panel rather than just tapping into the slots on the front.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, great advice. That clears up my question about IGN and ACC. I'll probably take the easy route for now and just power the gauge from ACC. When I get a chance I'll have to see if I can wire both the gauge and shiftlight to the back of the fuse panel to clean things up. Any direction on how to go through the back?

So any ideas on the dimmer switch for the gauge light?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Instructions on connecting to the back of the fuse panel (complete with photos) are here: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/alarm96up2.htm

While you're back there you can pick up gauge illumination output from the "IP Dimmer" fuse. You can also get that from the gray wire on your fog light switch or one of the two gray wires on the back of the radio (use a test light to make sure you get the right one).
Old 05-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Actually, if you're going to go to the trouble of soldering into the back of the fuse panel and you plan to add other accessories later, you might want to do what I did. Connect a different colored length of wire for each of the three types of power and run them behind the dash to a convenient spot behind the console. Tape them up and label them or install junction blocks on the ends and you will have easy access for future accessory wiring.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whitebird, you are the man that link is very clear, thank you very much for the guidance!