Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone tinted/vinyl'd their signal / DRL lens to a different shape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tinted/vinyl'd their signal / DRL lens to a different shape?

Hey guys. I've been playing around with my exterior lighting situation for a few months now (since I got the clear fogs), and although I've been directed to some of the best products out there by a few members here, I'm not really happy with the outcome. I changed my DRL's/signals, side markers, corner markers, and fogs to ~6,000k white LED bulbs.... all Cree, and all the best chips/lumen output I could find. The brightness certainly isn't a problem, but I don't think I'm really sold on the "white" lighting all around. It just looks a little chidish to me or something.... whatever it is, I'm not a huge fan. I'm now toying with the idea of going back to amber on the side markers and DRLs/signals... Quality LED's again though.

My question is this ... I would like to reduce the big square glowing amber DRL size a bit, but not enough to make it unsafe for a signal marker. What I was thinking of was using opaque vinyl to cover up some of the lens. I'm thinking of either making a round cutout in the middle of the vinyl, or using 2 strips, one on the top and one on the bottom of the lens; leaving a 1-2 inch tall slot the full width of the lens for the light to emit from. I suppose another option would be to do the same thing, but make a vertical slot too...

Again...this is just kind of in the brainstorming phase. If you guys think it's a terrible idea, let me know. I'd just like to change the looks up a bit, but keep it road-legal and less teenager looking. Fuzzylog!c's halos/projectors all over look AMAZING, but I'm not looking to get into that much work for this cause...haha

Thanks for any input guys. Cheers.

Last edited by wes8398; 01-22-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Launching!

I think Fuzzy will tell you the 6000k bulbs are not "white" and tell you to stick with the 4300k temp like stock. That's what I remember him saying when it comes to bulb color. I made this mistake when I ordered my interior bulbs from precision led, I bought the 6000k hoping it would be what I wanted when I should have went with the 5000k they offered. In person there is too much bluish tint in the light the 6000k bulbs give off and it wasn't exactly what I was going for, I just wanted whiter and brighter. Is the bit of bluish hue what is turning you off on your set up now?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have no idea, wes, why you didn't use red and amber LEDs for the sidemarkers.

Combine a 5000-6000K light source with a colored lens and the output is sickly looking.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I have no idea, wes, why you didn't use red and amber LEDs for the sidemarkers.

Combine a 5000-6000K light source with a colored lens and the output is sickly looking.
You really don't need to know why...It was a personal choice that I made. But the lenses aren't colored. They're all clear. My idea was to have all 6000k lighting up front and to eventually get halo or LED headlights with matching 6000k ccfl halos/LEDs and an HID kit to match.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, I'm working on a more manufacturable clear CCFL projection fog with 3M clear shield on the lens and a totally different vertical LED bar / ram air inlet design. I have three sets of CTS-V foglamp cores to work on, and will probably have DIY instructions or something you can buy by the end of the summer.

Quick Reply: Anyone tinted/vinyl'd their signal / DRL lens to a different shape?