Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO ls1/ firebird t56?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GTO ls1/ firebird t56?

I'm finally getting to the business end of Dads 71 vette brake job turned ls1 swap.

So I got a 2004 GTO motor and 2000 FB t56 together as a combo. The salvage yard actually just tacked on a random t56 to a gto motor and brought it to me. So upon splitting the two, I find they ground out the bellhousing to clear the gto starter (is this common) and there's no pilot bearing in the flywheel. Suspicious about the pilot bearing except that I guess it may have just come out with the original transmission?
My questions are...

Are the flywheel/pilot bearings all the same, gto/fbody/ls1?

Any concerns about grinding the bellhousing and using the gto starter? (it all bolts up ok)

Can I just get a new fbody clutch combo, flywheel and slave, and will it work with the gto starter and will it bolt on the gto motor ok?

Help would be much appreciated!
Bill
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is no pilot bearing in the flywheel. the pilot bearing is in the rear crank flange so if the 04 gto motor was mated to an auto it wont have one
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redbird555
there is no pilot bearing in the flywheel. the pilot bearing is in the rear crank flange so if the 04 gto motor was mated to an auto it wont have one
Hey, thanks much. I feel pretty stupid though, should've known it's in the crank. That certainly answers the question though, prob came from an auto trans car, would also explain the extra wiring harness connectors back at the transmission! Any ideas on the starter/bellhousing question?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the gto starter is different from the fbody and vette versions and is clocked down on the gto t56 bellhousing to clear. to make it work correctly on the fbody bellhousing just get an fbody starter they can be had for around 100 bucks
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

GTO starter won't clear an Fbody LS1 bellhousing.

Sounds like somebody clearanced it to make it work. Just run the BH as is. If your clutch explodes that flimsy thing isn't going to contain the shrapnel anyway being cast aluminum.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
Sounds like somebody clearanced it to make it work. Just run the BH as is. If your clutch explodes that flimsy thing isn't going to contain the shrapnel anyway being cast aluminum.
Thanks for all the replies. That is what I was asking, it's obvious to me that the salvage yard where I got the motor clearanced the inside edge of the bellhousing, only a spot the size of a quarter or so, probably to avoid having to swap the starter to fit the trans. And I was wondering if that was a common practice, it doesn't look like it would affect strength any to speak of. Just a small spot. Hell, now I can use a gto or fbody starter.

But the salvage guys did it with the motor/trans close together as there's aluminum swarf everywhere, in the clutch, all over the throwout bearing, flywheel. That was all coming off anyway, but it seemed pretty cheesy to let someone have it that way, especially after spending $4500!

Quick Reply: GTO ls1/ firebird t56?