Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler size question with meth

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler size question with meth

On my car I'm planning on spraying meth since I already have the kit left over from my last project, and will be running E85 with an intercooler so I think keeping the IAT cool wont be an issue. My thinking is that because of the meth and E85 I don't necessarily need a top of the line intercooler, so using one from CX racing is the plan, this will help me stay on budget as well.

My concern is that using one of these budget intercoolers, or one that is too small may hurt airflow and reduce the PSI I see coming out the cooler. Am I going to be ok using one of their 4" core coolers? Is there a specific diameter inlet and outlet I should shop for? It will be a 347 with twin BW S359's pushing 20-22 PSI. Also planning on merging both of the cold side pipes into one before the intercooler if that matters.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rule of thumb..
Biggest one you can fit and biggest inlet and outlet you can use on that particular core.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like solid advice, I read that a loss of 1.5 PSI is common with most A2A intercoolers. Because these Chinese models may not be as efficient as a more expensive one, do they normally see an even large amount of pressure loss?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the bigger you go, the less pressure drop you usually see (not always...but usually)
honestly, some of the $400 ones out perform the $1700 ones.....
you just have to do some online searching to see who uses what and which ones work well....or which ones are acceptable enough for you

Quick Reply: Intercooler size question with meth