Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

O2 Sensor Placement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Placement?

I have recently re done my hotside so it does not get so close to the firewall. I was also having a problem with it heating up my brake fluid.

My current set up bends it back towards the front of the car like you see in the picture. I run a NGK wideband which utilizes an O2 sensor and I run the Holley EFI that utilizes a single O2 sensor. I plan to put it on the bend (first bend closest to the firewall) but it would be easiest to come straight into the side of the pipe in the middle of the bend. This would leave the O2 sensor parallel to the ground. I have a couple questions.

1. Does the O2 sensor need to be pointed down or does it not matter? I want to come straight into the bend and it would point parellel to the ground.

2. Does it matter which order I put the O2 sensors? Meaning should the Holley sensor read first or second or does it matter?

3. Since I am running the wideband and the Holley and both utilize the O2 sensor do they need to be a certain distance apart from each other. In my last set up I had them about a foot apart. In my current set up it would work perfect if I had them about 6" apart.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails O2 Sensor Placement?-dp4.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Side of the pipe should be fine. I think you just don't want it on the bottom pointing up in order to keep moisture off it. But prob even that would work.
I would feel fine putting them 6" apart.
Plenty of exh in the pipe to go around!

Lets see what the pros say

Ron
Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Side of the pipe should be fine. I think you just don't want it on the bottom pointing up in order to keep moisture off it. But prob even that would work.
I would feel fine putting them 6" apart.
Plenty of exh in the pipe to go around!

Lets see what the pros say

Ron
Yeah, all I could find was not to put them in the bottom pointing up because of moisture. Thanks Ron.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Your system won't allow for a readout off the sensor going to the ECM??
If so, no need for 2.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Your system won't allow for a readout off the sensor going to the ECM??
If so, no need for 2.
I have the Holley which uses one sensor. The second sensor is just hooked to my stand alone wideband that I have mounted to my dash. This way If I am making a WOT pull and I see 12 anything in the wideband I let off. The holley reads and utilizes the first O2.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

the holley doesnt have an output for O2? seems like the second sensor could be eliminated by just running sensor volts from ECU to the gauge

Edit: Ive always read that its "optimum" to have it 15 degrees where the wire end points up, so moisture doesnt make its way up to the top of the sensor, i would imagine as long as you are parrallel or maybe just a tiny bit up it should be okay.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by I-H8-RICE
the holley doesnt have an output for O2? seems like the second sensor could be eliminated by just running sensor volts from ECU to the gauge

Edit: Ive always read that its "optimum" to have it 15 degrees where the wire end points up, so moisture doesnt make its way up to the top of the sensor, i would imagine as long as you are parrallel or maybe just a tiny bit up it should be okay.
If you have a Holley gauge you can display the reading from the wideband.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Placement?