Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LQ4 drift/road race build questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 drift/road race build questions

first off heres what i got 2003 LQ4 stock 317 heads ARP rod bolts and studs custom long tubes 1 3/4 open headers f body accessories oil pan etc…. note IM USING THE TRUCK INTAKE, RAILS ETC. got a pretty big hood scoop on her

this my first LS motor build i got sick of the rotary blowing up and i just have a few questions since I'm new to this i have been searching a ton and can't find what i need

1.)should i use a high volume or high pressure oil pump ?
I'm thinking high volume

2.) are any of you using this? or recommend it ? some people at drift events who were ls1 say they just over fill the oil by 1/2 quart or so lol ! sounds kinda the ghetto way of doing things

http://www.improvedracing.com/baffle...ffle-p-30.html

3.) i was looking into the ms4 with stock rockers and dual valve springs and push rods but as i was searching through the forums i found out that the PTV is very close and some people say they actually "kissed" the piston with this cam and since this motor will be seeing alot of high RPM/redline time i don't think that big of a cam is a good idea to be bouncing off the limiter with 6600-6700 rpm what do you guys think ? is the ms4 more for drag racing? what would a better cam option be ?

forgot to mention the motor is in an FC YES I DO HAVE SUSPENSION MODS !

my goal for hp is about 350 whp through a T56 will the cam only with bolt ons do this on 317 heads ?

any help greatly appreciated

Last edited by nick Ritter; 01-28-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, somewhat unrelated to your questions but I gotta ask, why did you go with an LQ4? Im guessing you just got a really good deal? Im asking because an aluminum Gen3 engine would be 90lbs lighter, and something like an LS1 would only need full bolt ons to make 350RWHP.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

got it for next to nothing I'm in minnesota so ALOT of trucks/suvs get totaled out in winter from plowing accidents to rollovers etc so there are tons on 5.3l and 6.0l everywhere you look the ls1 i would love to do but i don't got the money for it yards around here want a lot my car is already very light to begin others who have iron FC's say they like it because they feel it makes the front "dig" into corners better

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ok, somewhat unrelated to your questions but I gotta ask, why did you go with an LQ4? Im guessing you just got a really good deal? Im asking because an aluminum Gen3 engine would be 90lbs lighter, and something like an LS1 would only need full bolt ons to make 350RWHP.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

really ? nobody has input?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of RPMs do you plan on hitting and staying at? I'm not familiar with drifting and don't really know if oiling becomes much of an issue for LSx-based cars in drift competitions. I can break the tires loose and keep them loose without revving the snot out of my engine, and I'm pushing maybe 380 at the crank.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

i plan on turning 6500 RPM and i know oiling becomes an issue i think i might just buy the baffle my main concern is what cam to go with i want to hit 350whp with all bolt ons through a t56 with stock 317 heads

Originally Posted by 1981TA
What kind of RPMs do you plan on hitting and staying at? I'm not familiar with drifting and don't really know if oiling becomes much of an issue for LSx-based cars in drift competitions. I can break the tires loose and keep them loose without revving the snot out of my engine, and I'm pushing maybe 380 at the crank.

Quick Reply: LQ4 drift/road race build questions