Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updates on Spectra Fuel Tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updates on Spectra Fuel Tanks?

Anyone been running for a while with the newer design tank? How are they holding up, and how is the fuel starvation issue? Specifically looking for early 2nd gen F-Body. Need to replace my tank (stock, 4th gen bucket) and looking at what may be the best way to go since 2006.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd411.htm
Old 02-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What issues do you have with the 4th gen bucket? I ask because I recently performed this swap...has performed great so far!

One guy on nastyz28 had the spectra pump act up ( quit then re started), he also experienced fuel starvation below 1/4 tank. This was the original 73 style spectra tank he adapted to work in his 78.

Leon
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by reedld
What issues do you have with the 4th gen bucket? I ask because I recently performed this swap...has performed great so far!

One guy on nastyz28 had the spectra pump act up ( quit then re started), he also experienced fuel starvation below 1/4 tank. This was the original 73 style spectra tank he adapted to work in his 78.

Leon
No issues with the pump or bucket, it works great. The tank itself is just beat up, and I can't top the tank off without it leaking some. Would like to rectify the issue.

Any first hand experience with the tanksinc setup?

The other issue thats always bugged me is the fuel gauge swings wildly - the Stewart Warner gauge I'm using isn't dampened. Has a solution ever been found on how to slow aftermarket gauges down?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't see how the tanks inc setup would work better than the stock 4th bucket. I'd buy a new tank, and recess the bucket in. I had to play around with the OEM gm fuel sender (bend it a little) to make it work properly. I used the vette works kit....had a recess built for it so I wouldn't need to cut into my trunk.

If you could buy a new fuel guage to work with a 2000 and newer F-body, you could use the 4th gen float that is attached to the bucket. I would have done that but I didn't want to buy a new autometer cobalt guage. My OEM fuel guage works real well...typical 70's or 80's GM....after it reaches 1/2 tank...it flys toward E!!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Teching In

+1 I've got the diy kit on the tank in my chevelle. Got it all done and about 6 months later they came out with a tank for it lol.

Quick Reply: Updates on Spectra Fuel Tanks?