LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question with a Canton Oil Pan???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question with a Canton Oil Pan???

I got a Canton 15-242T - SBC 93-97 F BODY RR PAN 1 PIECE SEAL for free.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...-1-PIECE-SEAL/

My question is I have a heads cam LT1 with a stock block and oil pan and pump. Does anyone know from the link I posted what "Recommended Accessories" do I need if I have all stock components?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it's not already installed, you may consider selling it and using a different pan. I'm satisfied with mine, but had to modify my aftermarket starter to fit, and relocate the oil level sensor from where Canton places it. Think people have had better luck with other brands.

Otherwise...

Originally Posted by 93BlackT/A
Does anyone know from the link I posted what "Recommended Accessories" do I need if I have all stock components?

Thanks
That recommended components list is obviously just for the oil pump pickup, which you will certainly want to buy. Which one you choose is solely dependent on which oil pump you'll be running. I'd recommend at very least replacing the pump while you're in there, as well has getting the replacement driveshaft with the metal coupler instead of that silly piece of plastic (if this isn't already included with the pump).

Your choice, but I'd stay away from the high-volume (HV) variety -- stick with standard volume. I believe the most recommended pump nowadays are the Melling Select variety. You'll need to double-check these part numbers, but I believe them to be accurate:

#10553 Standard volume, high-pressure, 5/8" pickup.
#10554 Standard-volume, standard-pressure, 3/4" pickup.
#10550 High-volume, high-pressure, 5/8" pickup
#10555 High-volume, high-pressure, 3/4" pickup

Might need to talk to Canton to be certain which pickup to use with the above pumps. The #20-021 pickup is listed for the 10555 pump, but perhaps it might work on the 10554 as well (don't quote me on it). Not certain which pickup you'd choose for the 10550 or 10553 pumps.

The remaining pumps on that list are known to have weaker castings -- i.e., they have a tendency to break near their mounting flange. M55 is the stock replacement pump with a 5/8" pickup, M155 is the stock pump with a 3/4" pickup. I personally use the M155 (with the #20-013 pickup on that list) along with a higher-pressure release spring, but I installed it back before it was well-known that these pumps are junk. I should probably swap it out before something bad happens.

I recommend high-temp Red loctite on all the oil pump fasteners. If you're using the canton, use the same loctite on that big port on top of the passenger-side kick-out, to prevent leaks.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

As stated you will need their pickup. Call them. They may have one that will fit the stock pump. Once the new pickup is pressed into the pump you will want to get it tack welded just so it doesn't slip off. Make sure the clearance between the bottom of the pan-to-pickup is correct. Don't remember what it should be, but info should be easily found.
You can take out the stock windage tray and run the Canton's or take the Canton's out in favor of the stock one. There have been reports of those with stock stroke engines running into windage issues. Running a half quart lower than the 6qt capacity (some believe it to be 7 quarts, and that's not the case) gets rid of the issue. I know of at least one other who runs a Canton with a Moroso windage tray and can run a full 6qt capacity.
The level sensor is a matter of choice. I don't run a sensor. I just check it regularly. I have jumped the plug so the oil light stays off. Only time I've heard the sensor is an issue is with longtube headers.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The canton pick up uses a pump bolt to hold it into place so no need to weld anything I would use thread locker on the bolt threads.

I use a melling stock replacement pump with canton pickup on my daily driver and everything has worked perfect for over 2 years.

As for selling it for another why waste your time and money? You got a free pan just make sure all the doors are functioning properly and the springs are intact.

Quick Reply: Question with a Canton Oil Pan???