LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Unknown Leak HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown Leak HELP

Hello Everyone,

So I am in need of some help. I can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak on the driver side of the car. I have upgraded to the Hooker Headers listed below. I have done a complete engine rebuild with several mods. I cant seem to figure out where this leak is coming from. I took off the header and found what appeared to be a leak in the old gasket. I changed out the gasket and still hear a leak. I changed the O2 Sensors, and also changed out the gasket at the flange where the header meets the exhaust. I still hear the annoying exhaust sound and dont know where left to check. Any help would be appreciated, if I did not provide enough information please let me know.

1997 Camaro Z28
Original LT1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...t/model/camaro
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

honestly shouldn't be anywhere else for a leak on the driver side check the passenger side, double tighten the header bolts as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

First i would recheck all bolts upper and lower, heat will cause the bolts to loosen up on the first few heat cycles of the new install. If you still get a noise another method is when the car is cold start it up and use either a stethoscope or your hand and move them around the entire system until you find the source. If you still have a issue locating the source then you can grab a can of Sea foam, disconnect the booster line and spray Into hose, this will cause a white smoke to exit the tail pipe. If you see smoke anywhere else that's where a leak is located. I like to heat the motor up, spray Sea foam let run for about 2 min or until the smoke starts coming out think from the tail pipe then shutting off and checking everything. Have the car on stands prior to do this it will make very thing much easier. Good l7ck
Old 02-09-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check the fittings for the AIR pump and the EGR hookup. The EGR crossover pipe will tear if bent too much.

Quick Reply: Unknown Leak HELP