General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Will Not Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Car Will Not Crank

Hey guys. I've been having an issue lately. When I go to start the car I turn the key on the ignition and nothing happens, no clicks or anything the gauges fall like normal but the starter never engages. It was only happening once out of every 100 starts but now its down to 50% of the time. I usually just cycle the key a couple times and then it starts right up as normal

Before I go any further let me say I do not have VATS, that was tuned out long ago by me. Over the past year trying to chase this thing down I replaced the starter and the clutch pedal switch. The relays were switched around also. The problem still happened every once in a while so I dont think those things had anything to do with it.

Today something happened when I went to start it... I turned the key and again nothing happened but instead of releasing the key and trying again I held it in the "start" position and magically after 1-2 seconds there the car kicked over like NOTHING. So I'm thinking its the lock cylinder or ignition switch... What do you all think?

Last edited by redbird555; 02-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

following
Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

actually just had a thought.... vats was tuned out but never bypassed so could that be the reason for no flashing light but no start
Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
actually just had a thought.... vats was tuned out but never bypassed so could that be the reason for no flashing light but no start
now you mention it, I was always told that you have to do both mods. I bypassed mine after I tried a different key and it worked. A couple weeks ago I had LMR tune it out of software
Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RJDio
now you mention it, I was always told that you have to do both mods. I bypassed mine after I tried a different key and it worked. A couple weeks ago I had LMR tune it out of software
Well I did te bypass on the column last night. I learned that even if it's tuned out the car will still flash it's security light if it has a vats problem. So if the light isn't flashing the vats is working. With that said I think my problem was the clutch switch. I simply bypassed it and put the 2 wires together and it's been starting fine. If it keeps working ok ill order a new switch and pigtail

Quick Reply: Car Will Not Crank