Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noisy Transmission!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Noisy Transmission!!

So i have a 99 SS with 79k miles, im assuming the clutch is stock cause everything else on the car was too till i got a hold of it lol... i put a short stick in so obviously with no rubber piece its gonna vibrate a little more then stock, but if im coasting or sitting and put it in Neutral, the transmission gets very noisy, like i can hear everything in the transmission spinning, hard to explain just really noisy! If im still in Neutral and i push the clutch in, all the noise goes away!! Is this just a really old clutch getting sloppy sound im hearing??? Or is this a Normal T56 rattle noise i hear? Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your clutch may not be totally disengaged.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1charged
So i have a 99 SS with 79k miles, im assuming the clutch is stock cause everything else on the car was too till i got a hold of it lol... i put a short stick in so obviously with no rubber piece its gonna vibrate a little more then stock, but if im coasting or sitting and put it in Neutral, the transmission gets very noisy, like i can hear everything in the transmission spinning, hard to explain just really noisy! If im still in Neutral and i push the clutch in, all the noise goes away!! Is this just a really old clutch getting sloppy sound im hearing??? Or is this a Normal T56 rattle noise i hear? Thanks
Main shaft cluster rattle, its typical and considered normal. Changing the shifter, camshaft, flywheel(lightweight)or lightweight carpet will make this more noticeable as the cluster of gears rattle. A rebuild may be quiet for a while until the bearings wear in and loosen up.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the clutch stick to the floor a couple times so maybe it's just the clutch not completely engag/disengaging?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1charged
I've had the clutch stick to the floor a couple times so maybe it's just the clutch not completely engag/disengaging?

Two separate issues. The clutch problem is an LS style issue, search this site for more info on the drill mod.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install a plastic hurst style ball when you installed the short stick? I did a few years back and it made my transmission extremely loud. I installed the stock one and noise got quieter, the hollow plastic ones just amplify the noise. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Noisy Transmission!!