Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need a input shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a input shaft

I'm looking for an input shaft for my 04 cts-v.

I pulled my transmission tonight to do the ls7 clutch swap to find a ls1 clutch and flywheel and a slave spacer. Found my input shaft is all scared up and has groves from the pilot bearing so it fits loosely. My pilot bearing was not too bad is the weird thing, a bit tight. I also seem to have an excessive amount of up and down play on the input shaft so I'm not sure if it's normal because of no bearing supporting it on the other end or if it's bad because of the slop in the input bearing.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two bearings on the input shaft are conical so you will get a little shaft movement without the support of the pilot bearing. Since the cover is coming off any way, might as well have a look through the trans just to make sure everything looks good. I've always bought my parts from thegearbox.org and had a local guy rebuild it since he knows what to look for. I buy parts and he charges me 200 labor but I pull the trans.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:49 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to go through the trans and see what else you may need before blindly getting an input shaft. If you find the mainshaft etc has wear and needs to be replaced you'd be better off getting a replacement.

The input shaft is the very last thing in the trans besides the front plate that it sits in, so the entire trans is pretty much built around the input shaft and will have to be completely disassembled. If you're handy, it's not that big of a deal...a T-56 is not the trans you want to pop your cherry on though.

Quick Reply: Need a input shaft